Chapter II - Not One of Us

When she got a few miles away from the prince, Shyvana turned back human and ran some more. She still remembers how the he touched her, from her shoulders, to her breasts then down to her waist. 'His touch…' While thinking about it, she slowed down, and then finally stopped running. Shyvana wrapped her arms around her body. 'I want to see him again.'

Shyvana arrived at their current home - a cave in the north, gathered up some twigs and dried leaves, and breathed fire to them. Her father was curled up at his side and was already asleep. She approached her father to kiss him goodnight, but then her father spoke.

"Daughter, we must leave tomorrow morning." Hearing this, she sat down near her father and hugged her legs, depressed. It has always been like this—they never had a permanent home. They always left their previous shelter because the dragons of Valoran despised them, judged them because her father was an outcast, and she was different.

Their built reflected the kind of lifestyle they lived in. They lived independently from the other dragons, thus having their strength as their only way of defense. Their kind was already strong, but because they lived differently from the others, they were stronger than most.

Her father put his wing around her, "Don't think that you're different from us just because you look that way. You still have your father's blood—my blood in you." Shyvana stood up and approached the fire. She breathed in it again.

The sound of the crackling embers echoed through the cave. She sat down with her hands wrapped around her legs, then focused on the flames. "Father… I have encountered someone today." She said, tracing scribbles on the ground with her sharp nails. "Its body was similar to mine. My mother—you told me she was human."

"Humans are cruel and selfish beings, my child." He looks at Shyvana with animosity in his eyes. "It is best that you don't create ties with them."

Her father let out smoke from his nostrils and approached Shyvana, near the fire. "That human that you met today, did he talk to you?" His tone shifted from gentle to protective. Her dad was an outcast, he often talked to humans until he met Shyvana's mother. After that incident, he never talked to a human ever again.

"I knew of his name, father, nothing more." She remembered the prince as he touched her. She had not felt any signs of malice since by the way Jarvan had laid his hands on her; it was most gentle and showed his curiosity. "But then he touched me, the human did. Gently—I felt no harm from his hands."

"Humans are pathetic creatures. They seek satisfaction by touching flesh. You must not see him." Shyvana tried to answer back to her father but to no avail. "You must have remembered that your mother is human, thus you do not feel that humans are of any harm." Shyvana nodded while she played with the flames coming out of her hands.

This beautiful half-dragon was born from a human, thus her appearance. There was an instance that a dragon found a wounded woman in the woods. The dragon inspected her, and said that she might die from blood loss if she wasn't treated properly. He bit his own arm, just so he could infuse his blood into the woman. The woman was at first terrified of the dragon, but because it helped her heal from her wounds, the woman was grateful to it for saving her life, and went on her way.

Years later, the dragon found the woman again at the same spot, only difference is, she has a child her hands. The child wasn't human, since he noticed that the skin color was definitely different. When the woman saw the dragon, she cried and hugged the child very tight. …because of its blood, she turned out this way… I should've just died. Shyvana… you belong here with them. You're not one of us.

The woman left the child in front of the dragon. My husband left us because he does not accept what YOU are. The dragon approached the child and breathed smoke through his nostrils to provide her with warmth. The woman kissed her child then ran away.

It went back to its previous position and murmured. "Humans are filithy creatures. But I'm still lucky I have you, Shyvana. Now go to sleep. We still have to leave early for tomorrow." Shyvana went under his father's wing and then fell asleep.

A bunch of dragons were already outside when Shyvana woke up. They were bickering with her father. She was told not to come near her father when there are other dragons around. Sometimes, she thinks that her father might be ashamed of her, because she's part human. But she's always told that he was just protecting her because she might get hurt.

In a few moments, the other dragons left and her father went back to Shyvana. She went to her dad, "Father, what did they tell you?" Her father kept quiet and proceeded to lift Shyvana, and readied itself for flight. It happens every time. Her father never tells her what they say, but she knows it's about her.

"What did I do to the other dragons?" she asked her father. He glided through the clouds, as if he heard nothing. Shyvana was persistent—she played with his ears, scratched his back and did things to get his attention, but he continued to search for a new place to stay, as if she did nothing.

HURAAAAORRR! She transformed into a dragon and tried to keep up with his dad's flight. "Your power… It flows through me. What is it that they hate about me?" She looked at her dad, but then, in the middle of the air, she transform back into human. She fell through the sky.

Her father, as calm as a reed, flew in a spiral downwards and caught Shyvana, then they landed. "Child… it's because you're different. You're not one of us."