CHAPTER - ONE

(Misty Hayward)

I sighed really loudly, in hope if annoying my kidnappers. I made farting sounds and flicked my hair side to side. The man in front gave me a unnerving glare but I just continued to entertain myself since merriment is scarce.

I looked to my right and wiggled my eyebrows at the man with the gun to my head. He raised one eyebrow and I became envious. I’ve always wanted to do that. I sighed again and crossed my arms over my chest, wrinkling my nose at the damp warehouse smell. It honestly smelled like stinky socks – not that I smell socks in my spare time.

The scary looking man that looked like a corpse was on the phone – to my dear dad. They were asking for a million dollars. I internally laugh and throw my head back, engaging in a very weird staring contest with the gun man. Hah! He blinked, I win!

Suddenly the phone was at my ear and I heard my worried dad on the line,

“Misty, darling, are you okay?” He breathed and I nodded but then I realised that he couldn’t see me.

“I’m absolutely fine, daddy. My kidnappers are really nice.” I say and grin up at them. The gun man grunts and I frown. I wonder if he can speak or just grunt like a wild animal.

“Listen carefully, a rescue team is on their way. These kidnappers are the worst, we traced the phone call and we’ll be there soon.” He whispered and I felt some hope again. But this kidnapping is getting old. This is my seventh time – SEVENTH TIME! So I’m used to it all.

“Okay daddy, bye.” I say cheerily and beam up at the two men.

“Your daddy,” he mimics my voice and I scowled at him. “Better pay the ransom or your stay here won’t be pleasant.”

“Oh blah, blah, blah,” I grimace and make myself comfortable in my chair.

“Soooo, you guys ever think about cleaning this place?” I scrunch up my face in disgust and to the rancid smell. “It smells like pigs,” I pout. “But that’s of course two pigs live here.” I eyed them, then beamed up at them derisively.

“You think you’re funny don’t you., little girl?” The corpse like man says.

“Actually, I think I’m Superman.” I say dully, growing tired. “And just so you know, my name isn’t ‘little girl’.”

The man growled by something else happened too. The doors of the warehouse caved in and fell to the floor with a loud clang. Several men stormed in with guns in their hands pointed at the kidnappers. They took their place and slammed the bad men down. I jumped up and raced to the door when a large arm held me and I got thrown back. I looked up to see my dad, offering his hand. I hastily took it hugged him tightly.

“Sorry, darling, are you okay? Did they hurt you?” he asks and I shake my head. The kidnappers got cuffed. They got pushed out where the police car were surrounding the place. They both glared at me whilst they got pushed into the cars and the sirens started. I just waved through the window and grinned whilst their eyes told me they wanted me dead.

***

“I’m absolutely sick of this,” my dad roars down the phone whilst I’m sat opposite him in his study. He’d made an urgent call and I slumped back in my chair, eating nutella from the tub with a large spoon. I love nutella and I love dunking cookies into it and eating it.

“Right, when will he be here? Good thank you.” He slams the phone down and stares at me. I pout then swallow the nutella in my mouth; sitting up to talk to my dad.

“Who was that?” I ask, jerking my chocolate covered spoon to the phone.

“A good friend of mine from the Army.” My dad smiles. “You see, he knows a former soldier that lives right here in New York.” He taps his desk.

“Annnd?” I encourage him. “Why do you need a former soldier for?” I lick my spoon clean and eye my dad.

“Because,” he says, pushing back his chair and standing up. He pulls his suit coat down and brushes off invisible dirt. “I asked for a bodyguard.”

I laughed loudly and scooped more nutella. “Why do you need a bodyguard?”

“Oh not for me dear,” he smirks, a smile of mirth playing on his lips. “But for you.”

My jaws drops, my nuttela tub falls on my lap and the spoon clatters to the floor. Oh great, now I need another spoon to finish my yummy chocolate spread.

“But dad,” I whine. “Why? I don’t need a bodyguard.”

“For God’s sake, Misty! You’ve been kidnapped seven times and it’s ridiculous.” He sits back down in his chair.

“Dad, please, I really don’t. A bodyguard would mean he’d have to be with me 24/7 and follow me everywhere. It’s embarrassing.”

“Misty,” his tone was more calm and controlled. He waddled around the desk and came to me. “I loved you, you’re my only daughter and the only one I have left. What will happen to me if I lose you? It’d kill me. Things have changed since your mother died, I need to know you’re safe at all times.” He places his hands on my cheeks that are wet with tears.

“How about this? You sleep on it and this bodyguard will come around tomorrow. If you still feel the same way, we’ll send him away.” He smiles and I nod.

He brushes away my bangs and places a light kiss on my forehead. I ask to be excused and rush out of his study. I didn’t need a stinking bodyguard, I can look after myself. I’ll be sending that damn guy back to where he came from tomorrow.

***

“MISTY! Darling, come down here.” Yelled my dad and I rolled off my bed with a grunt. It was the army dude and he’s an hour late. He's not making a very good impression.

I lazily pull on my converse and tie my hair up messily in a ponytail and skip downstairs. I enter the hallway, watching where I step when my eyes fly up and all I can think is ‘Oh my god.’

______________________

NOTE: On the side is a picture of Misty.