Japan x Reader~ The One and Only Part Cause It's a One-Shot

~~

"If salted salmon is put into lightly salted water for a while, it will be more delicious without the extra salt."

~~

You walked up the steps of your best friend, Kiku's [house]. You knocked on the [paper door], anxiously waiting. The door slid open to reveal the Japanese boy, "Kon'nichiwa (Y/n)- san. What brings you here?" He asked politely. "It's your birthday, so I'm gonna make you food!" You cheered. He sighed and gestured inside, "Come on in (Y/n)-san."

After searching through Japanese food for 30 minutes, you decided on pickles, mochi, bento, and salted salmon.

You started by picking and washing cucumbers from Kiku's garden. You two mixed 1 cup of distilled white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, 2 teaspoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of fennel, turmeric, mustard seeds, and fennel seeds. You also boiled 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Kiku put the cucumbers in a jar, while you put the water into the mixture and poured it over the cucumbers. Then, you refrigerated them.

As Kiku prepared the next ingredients, you put up the old ones. 'We make a good cooking team,' you thought as you shelved the fennel. He pulled out 1 pound of mochiko (rice flour), 3 cups of sugar, 1 can of coconut milk, 1/2 cans of sweetened condescended milk, 1 1/2 cups of water, red food coloring, and katakuriko. As Kiku was sifting the mochiko, you held out the cups of sugar, ready to pour them in. He allowed you to stand next to him, because you two were friends. Your hands accidentally brushed, and you frantically rambled, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I was trying to pour in he sugar, I didn't mean it! Please don't be mad!" He looked at you with is (*cough* beautiful *cough*) chocolate eyes. "It's ok (Y/n)-san. It's fine, no need to apologize." You looked at him in shock. 'H-he didn't get mad?' You wondered, 'Hmm, that's out of character for him.' Little did you know, he wanted you to brush his hand again.

~Time Skip Cause I'm Not Writing All That Cooking~

You two had finished the pickles, mochi, bento, but all you needed was the big thing. The salmon. You two had a bit of trouble with the salmon, because you both wanted salt, but not so much that you two would have too much sodium. 'Kiku can't have too much! It's bad for him!' You thought as you looked at the salmon. You had already done the preparations (it describing that), but you just needed salt. It was a salted salmon after all! Kiku's head snapped up, his pointer finger in the air. "If salted salmon is put into lightly salted water for a while, it will be more delicious without the extra salt." Your (e/c) eyes lit up as you did exactly that.

~Last Time Skippy Skip~

You scrubbed at the counter with a wet rag as Kiku sat at the chabudai staring at the food. He had offered to help, by you refused. "It's your birthday, and you're too old to be doing this stuff!" was your retort. After you finished, you sat next to Kiku. "Itadakimasu," you both said. You had eaten at Kiku's house many times before, so you knew his table manners.

"Kiku, this is really good!" You said after finishing the salmon on your plate. "Arigatōgozaimashita," He responded.

The pink mochi was sweet, the pickles tasted good, the bento was saved to eat for lunch another day, and the salmon tasted good, too. "Gochisosama," you both told each other, being polite. Then Kiku did something you never thought he'd do. He asked, "(Y-y/n)?"

"Mhm?"

"C-can I.... hug you?"

Your face flushed, but you, being the hug loving person you are, complied. The hug was nice, but when you pulled away, Kiku's face was a bright red. "K-Kiku? Do you need something to cool your face with?" You asked.

"Ī-Īe (Y/n)-san. Thank you anyway."

"Are you sure? You're really red..."

"It's ok"

"If you say so..."

"(Y-Y/n)?"

"Yea?"

"Why do people blush?"

It was your turn to turn red. "W-well if someone is embarrassed or mad, then the'll blush... but also if you have a crush on someone, you might blush..."

~POV Change?~

'I don't think I'm embarrassed or mad...' The Japanese boy thought. 'What could it be? Now's a good time to say something... but every time I try to talk, the words get caught in my throats, so I guess it's just best to not talk anyway. But... maybe... do I? Do I love (Y/n)? Every time I see her with another guy, I want to go over and move her away from them. I think she's calling my name... Her voice is nice. Along with those beautiful (e/c) eyes. And that silky (h/c) hair... Kiku! What are you thinking!' (I like to think that Japan has lots of thoughts but never says anything) 'M-maybe I do love her...'

~POV Change... Again...~

"Kiku? Kiku?" You called. The Japanese boy had just stopped responding. "Earth to Kiku? Kiku you there?" You huffed. "Well fine then!" And turned away. After a while you heard Kiku slap is cheeks, which were still red, and mutter, "Don't think like that!" You turned to look at him, "Kiku? Is everything alright?" "No.... (Y-y/n)... Watashi wa, anata o aishiteimasu..." You learned enough Japanese to know what he said. "K-Kiku..." You started, but abandoned saying anything and glomped him. As you nuzzled his cheek, much to his embarrassment, you cheered, "I love you too! I love you too Kiku!" And kissed him right there.

'Oops...' you thought, 'I forgot his personal space rule...'

On the other hand, Kiku was enjoying every second of this moment. You respected his personal space rule, but earlier he found out that he liked your touch. He kissed back, and it was light and sweet, but not too passionate. But it was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

~Fin (LAND)