one;

(y/n) = your name

-

and sure enough, he was. he walked right over to the both of the girls, but his eyes never left (y/n)'s friend sitting beside her. "told you."

"i-i...what?" her friend stutters, looking back and forth between (y/n) and the boy that's now jogging to her.

(y/n) just smiles, not wanting to show how much it's affecting her. sure, she believed he was looking at her friend at first because, in (y/n)'s eyes, (friend's name) is better than her in every way. but, she still hoped. (y/n) hoped that maybe it was her, but it wasn't, and she has to accept that pretty quickly.

even as he is looking right at her friend, a huge grin on his face, she wants it to be herself his attention is towards.

"hey hey hey! i'm bokuto koutarou! what's your name?"

it's confirmed. (y/n) knows for a fact now in whom he's interested and to whom he's talking isn't her; he already knows (y/n)'s name but not her friend's. so why would he ask something he already knew? exactly.

(f/n)'s eyes widen when she realizes who he's talking to. she shoots (y/n) a quick glance to see her reaction, but (y/n) doesn't give her any hint of what she's feeling. she was expecting her to look jealous, depressed, or something since this is the guy who (y/n) has been infatuated with for a few months.

"(f-friend's name)," she says quickly looking at (y/n) before settling her eyes back on his excited ones.

"(friend's name)! Did you see my spike? It was awesome right?" he exclaims, crossing his arms proudly over his chest, and (y/n) quickly looks away from his flexing biceps once she notices she was staring.

"y-yeah, it was great," (friend's name) says, but (y/n) knows she's lying since she wasn't watching the practice at all. the reason they have come here today was to show (y/n)'s best friend the guy she has been crushing on for a while since (friend's name) had never seen him before.

so, instead of paying attention to the practice, her friend was constantly asking questions about him and asking which player he was. despite her eyes frequently being on the court, she wasn't paying attention to the game or his volleyball skills.

"akaashi! she said i was great!" he yells over to the younger boy that is repeatedly setting the ball up in the air as a way to practice. as the ball comes back down one last time, he catches it with both hands before directing his attention towards bokuto.

"bokuto-san, practice isn't over. maybe you should continue your flirting later."

bokuto's mood instantly deflated, and his smile slightly falters. "of course! (friend's name), make sure to watch me! this next spike is for you."

he jogs over to his waiting teammates, leaving (y/n) and (friend's name) alone.

"what just happened?" (friend's name) wonders aloud and awkwardly forces out a laugh.

"bokuto likes you," (y/n) says, trying to keep her spirits high, and show that this is in no way affecting her. "it was just a silly crush anyways."

"(y/n)..."

she laughs at her worried friend. "it's okay! really, (friend's name)."

"i don't believ-"

as she is speaking, there is a sudden shriek, and both of the girl's attention is brought to the crouching boy who's burying his face into his arms.

"don't look at me, (friend's name)! i am disgraceful!"

(y/n) covers her mouth with her hands but can't help the giggle that escapes her lips. even if it wasn't directed towards her, she can't help the fluttering in her stomach as she watches him.

"so, how do you like him?" she asks her friend who's just staring at the owl-like boy with an open mouth.

"does he do that often?"

"more often than i'd like to admit." But, she loves it nonetheless.