Chapter Four

Jane stepped inside the cabin and was immediately awestruck. There were only two beds, if she would even call them that. They were more like coffins, black boxes see had seen during her grandfather's funeral. Blood red sheets and blankets were neatly tucked into one, while the other was messy and unmade. 

Tidbit collapsed into the coffin, gesturing to the neat one. "That one's yours."

For a moment, Jane stared at her brother. She went over to the bed, looking it over. She slipped into it, feeling weary. Her eyes dropped, and she fell into sleep. 

She stood in an empty tunnel, the wind making her arms cold. The air in front of her shimmered, and in a whirlwind of flowers and fresh sent, a woman appeared. 

"Persephone." Jane said. Her heart leapt. How had she known that name? She'd never seen nor heard of the goddess in her life, yet the name came like an old friends. 

The young goddess smiled, thought it seemed forced. "Yes, Jane. I am Persephone, your father's wife." She bent to touch the tunnel ground, and a flower swirled from the stone, gently wrapping around her fingers. "You are a young hero, Jane. Do you know that?"

Jane shook her head, watching the movement of the woman carefully. "Are you here to hurt me? I am a daughter of your husband, and you don't really like me, do you?" 

She smiled, touching the young girl's cheek. "You have your father's pale skin, his dark hair, but not his eyes. I wonder why? Nico had Hades eyes, so does Tidbit. Yet you have purple eyes... From your mother no doubt. I wouldn't think you were Hades child unless I have first hand had to deal with your... power."

"What do you mean?" Jane ventured, feeling like the goddess hadn't come to tell her she looked nothing like her father. Persephone's hand went down Jane's arm, and tightly grasped her wrist. Jane jumped, trying to break free, but her grip was tight. Hate burned in the goddesses eyes. 

"I know how you have coped with your pain, Jane. You've been killing my flowers. I don't much appreciate that, because they are a symbol of me."

Jane, fear pumping in her veins, prepared to summon skeletons like she had before. Just when she gathered the energy to do so, the goddess let go. She bent, plucked the flower she had grown, and tapped it. The blue petal's hardened and shook, and regained its shape. Persephone handed the flower to Jane, and she noticed it became a small necklace. 

"It's a choker." She explained, putting it around neck. "I want you to keep it as a gift from me. I don't dislike you, child, but don't kill my creations. I'll see you soon, and say hello to Tidbit for me, child of Hades."