Chapter 2

Chapter 2

0000 d 03 h 13 m 59 s. That means that I’ll meet her at 12:42 this morning. I had figured that out when I was nine, though.

          The classes we were required to take about our clocks starting in second grade (that Asher was exempt from) never could have prepared me for this moment. Anxiety wracks my body, my stomach hurting as it does when I’m extremely nervous, and I can’t focus. The Print isn’t looking too appealing right now. Luckily I have the day off- who would want to work on their Matching day?

          I take advantage of the time; shaving, showering (twice), and picking out one of my nicest outfits. Some people choose not to dress up for the occasion, but my mother and father promised to whoop me if I didn’t look my best for my soul mate.

          0000 d 02 h 05 m 48 s. I find myself glancing at my watch more and more often.

          When I come downstairs, my mother smiles approvingly, tears in her eyes, and my father comes forward to shake my hand. “Good luck today, son.”

          Son. He has never called me that. Never. My father is the least affectionate person I have ever met, so terms of endearment are far and few between. I smile at him.

          “Thank you,” I say, truly grateful for my parents’ support.

          0000 d 01 h 02 m 37 s. Closer and closer, more and more nerves. I sigh, ready for this to just be over. I’m in my pickup truck, driving aimlessly around Redsaw looking for something to do until… well, whatever’s going to happen. I stop at the Print to pick up some paper work. 0000 d 00 h 39 m 22 s. I stop at the local convenience store. 0000 d 00 h 30 m 05 s.  I stop back at the convenience store again, pick up a Coke, and continue driving. 0000 d 00 h 20 m 40 s. I find a back road I’ve never been down before that seems to lead out of town. I drive about ten miles, not keeping track of my watch anymore, but when I next look down, it reads 0000 d 00 h 11 m 01 s. Suddenly, a loud pop! and a bump in the road signals that I’ve run over something, and possibly popped a tire. I skid to a stop.

          Getting out, I notice that, sure enough, two of my tires have popped on a broken bottle back behind me in the road. Frustrated, I kick the side of the truck, which not only leaves a small dent but also leaves my toes throbbing. I reach to grab my cell phone, but it’s not there. In a panic, I pat myself down and then search the truck, to no avail. So I'm stuck here with no ride back to town, and nothing to call for help with. I feel like kicking the truck again when I realize that I’ll have to walk back to town, but- wait. A horrible thought occurs to me. I am miles from the nearest living person. This is the middle of nowhere. I’m going to miss my soul mate.