Chapter 13. | Birthday cake

It was raining and the pavement shined like mirrors reflecting the enormous moon up in the cloudy sky. There was not a soul on the alley that led to the now deserted Smile and Grin nightclub; where there was once music, sensuality and fun, there was now darkness and solitude. The view was apocalyptic, depressing. A huge barricade made with destroyed cars and pieces of furniture from the club prevented the entrance of intruders to the place.

Two figures stood close in silence, hiding silently in the darkness. The taller one, a cloaked man remained quiet as he assesed the situation, his detective self making plans inside his head. The other one clenched his jaw in anger, clutching the gun in his holster as his free hand turned to a tight fist, fury already running through his veins.

"Don't try anything, Joker. We're just here for-"

"Research," the clown said, wet strands of emerald hair running down his face making him look more lethal, "whatever you say, evil stepmother."

Stepping carefully out of the shadows, the two enemies ran towards the building and surrounded it until they reached the back. There, the Batman pulled out two grappling hooks, throwing one to the Joker carelessly, whose face lit up like a little child with a brand new toy.

"Do you know how to use th-" Batman was cut off by the Joker who had already fired the device and hooked it to the ceiling. After giving him a sarcastic smirk, the clown started climbing the walls effortlessly and Batman followed. When they reached the top of the building, J lead his companion to a hidden entrance: the figure of a golden juggling clown carved to the wall.

"Turn around, Batsy. Only my Queen and I are allowed to know the password to this passage." he said with a hint of mockery to which Batman rolled his eyes and looked away as Joker pressed the juggling balls on a pattern and then the sound of a door cracking open cut the silence. They entered a narrow aisle that led to a room, filled with weapons, jewelry and many other strange artifacts that could only belong to the Clown Prince of Crime.

"Welcome to my playroom, my winged friend!" he said, arms wide opened in invitation. "Now if you excuse me, I'll load myself a bit." The Joker disappeared for a moment, leaving Batman standing awkwardy in the middle of the room. A few moments later, the clown joined him once more holding Harley's pink holster and more guns, now wearing a dark green leather jacket and black jeans. Batman threw him an annoyed look at his attire.

"Seriously, Joker?"

J chuckled as he adjusted his holster and ran his fingers through his wet hair, "Sorry, B-B but I was tired of running around with those dull black clothes you gave me. I need to look good for my baby when we go back. Now follow me, if you please."

They walked through another dark aisle until they reached Joker's former dormitory. To his surprise, it looked exactly the same, not a single furniture out of place. However, something caught his full attention when his eyes landed on a necklace laying on his favorite purple armchair. An emerald necklace he was planning on giving to Harley for her birthday. His brain was suddenly clouded with anger and his hand reached for the piece of jewelry. Then, the sound of a gun loading brought him back from his day dream.

"Came back for some clean underwear, clown?" Daemon said, his mechanical arm dangerously poking J's side, but he didn't flinch or move. 

"Well, actually I did." Joker replied with a smug grin. "And to also grab my stolen throne back to myself." His expression turned lethal and Daemon narrowed his eyes at Joker, before shifting his eyes towards Batman, who was standing carefully watching the scene between the two dangerous men.