Chapter One: The First Part of a Lengthy Flashback

"For the record, un..." A blonde feline stated in a strained calm tone, drawing the attention of his furry cat companions.

"I blame this all on Tobi."

"Fucking seconded!" a silver cat hissed in anger, glaring harshly at a black cat with swirled orange splotches.

The black and orange feline cowed under the glare of his nine companions, huddling in the corner of the crowded cardboard box. "T-Tobi didn't mean for this to happen! Tobi's a good boy!"

In all honesty, though, the disguised Uchiha was ticked. He had never meant for himself and Zetsu to get caught in the cross-fires of his newest technique. All he had wanted was to eliminate the group that was becoming a potential threat to his cause...Which just so happened to be the very same group that Obito Uchiha had pulled together to further his cause.

Boy, irony was a bitch.

However, the fact of the matter was, the Akatsuki had been slowly becoming a liability to Obito's goals. Some of the members- Particularly Pein and Konan, to name the most influential- had been growing reluctant to follow Obito's increasingly controversial plans and orders. And, since Pein was the 'leader' of the Akatsuki, the other members (apart from Zetsu, who served Obito faithfully) would defer to his commands and wishes.

Pein was showing signs of molding the Akatsuki back into the way it once was before Obito took control. This wasn't something that Obito could let slide. However, simply killing the Akatsuki wasn't an option. With all of the five nations on alert for the rogue ninja, it would only be a matter of time before the bodies would be discovered if Obito left them unattended. And even if he did send Zetsu to dispose of the corpses, the Akatsuki could still be used for or against him in the Impure Reincarnation technique. And Obito really didn't want to take the chance of summoning a revived Akatsuki when he had been the one to end their lives in the first place. It was a lot more difficult to control a vengeful target than it was a neutral one. And don't even get him started on the consequences of what would happen if the Akatsuki was summoned for the direct purpose of fighting him.

Plus, if Obito decided he ever did have use for the group again, he could merely reverse the jutsu, and play up his idiotic 'Tobi' persona- 'Whoops, sorry, senpai, it was an accident, Tobi didn't mean to, Tobi spent weeks figuring out how to reverse the jutsu, Tobi is a good boy, yaaaaay!'

Obito knew it would be a lot more difficult to convince someone their premeditated murder was just an 'accident'.

As a final point, Obito knew he was strong, and if it came down to a one on one match, he was confident he could trump any of the Akatsuki members in a fight. However, if they discovered his intentions to dispose of them, and they all banded together against him and Zetsu...Even given how strong he was, Obito conceded there was absolutely no way in hell that he was going to defeat eight S-rank criminals, all fighting for their lives.

And, well, much as he hated to admit it, it's not like the Uchiha enjoyed the act of murdering others. He considered the death of others a means to an end, but he'd rather avoid it if it was at all possible. Murder wasn't a toy; it was a tool, and it needed to be used responsibly, or else Obito may find himself facing dire consequences for rash actions.

Besides, he knew she would never have supported needless death and suffering.

So, yes, unless absolutely necessary, such as in the case of extracting a Tailed Beast, Obito would prefer to avoid senseless bloodshed.

So, the Uchiha had made the decision to merely send them away- far, far away- Rather than just outright kill them.

He had spent months preparing his newest technique, which would theoretically rip a hole through the dimensions of space and time to send the Akatsuki to a whole different plane of existence, and out of Obito's hair.