2

Nick's POV

     Today was one of my least favorite days of the entire year. I mean, I don't exactly hate it but it's not like I like it either. Personally I could do without the whole "Hearts and sparkles" stuff. Valentine's Day just isn't my thing. Especially because it's yet another reminder that I can't tell the person I've been madly in love with since freshman year my feelings for them.

     "Nick?" someone asks. I look up and see Hannah standing in front of me, holding out a heart shaped box of chocolates. I stare at her for a couple seconds before taking it from her gently.

     "Thanks." I say. I try to give her a smile, but it probably comes out more as a grimace. She smiles at me and walks back to class.

     "You've been zoning out all day." Aric says from beside me. I shrug.

     "I'm just kinda tired." I explain. He nods.

     "Tired of getting gifts or tired like you didn't sleep?" he asks.

      "Both."

     "Why're you always so worried about today?" Aric asks.

     Because the one person I care about can't be with me. I think to myself.

     "I dunno." I say.

     "Is it because I never get you anything? If you want me to start doing that, I can." he suggests. I tense up at his words.

     "Why would I want you to get me something?"

     Aric shrugs. "Maybe you're secretly in love with me or something." he says. I stare down at my notebook, trying to ignore the ever increasing beat of my heart.

     "I'm not." I mumble. He raises an eyebrow.

     "Well, then what would you do if I was secretly in love with you?" he asks. I don't answer. "I'm kidding." he says. "You know that, right?"

      "Yeah. Of course I do." Of course I know that someone as perfect as him couldn't possibly have feelings for me. That's the problem, he's too perfect. And when you're too perfect, you never fall for your best friend.

     "But, I'm still curious, what would you do?" he asks again. I sigh and turn to him.

     "If you were in love with me, that would probably mean that I was in love with you too. So that would mean that I'd be able to tell you all the reasons my heart only beats for you." I explain.

     "And what would those be?" he asks, curious.

     "Well, for starters, how you're able to make someone laugh, even if they're in a crappy mood. You're never able to get mad at someone and you try your hardest to make sure they're in a good mood. You're good at focusing and getting your work done. You can talk to almost anyone without it being awkward. You're confidant but not arrogant, and it makes you even more perfect. And then there's the fact that your beautiful brown eyes are always open and inviting, like anyone could tell you anything." I say. We're silent for a couple seconds, and then I realize what I've done.

       "Are you sure you're not in love with me?" he asks, quieter this time. I grit my teeth before answering. I already spilled half of it, might as well finish it.

      "I've been in love with you since freshman year. Longer than that probably, but that's when I realized it." I say quietly. He nods and gives a small smile.

      "That's good to hear, because I've been in love with you since the moment we met."