28: Preparations

Thanks for sticking with this! Please comment and vote!

Christine

I woke tangled in bed with Erik. He was still asleep, the scarred side of his face facing the ceiling. I was content to lay safe in his arms until he woke up.

Images from the night before flashed through my mind, and I squeezed my eyes shut, forcing them away. I couldn't quite believe that I had killed a man, but I had, in self-defense.

Erik was awake now and watching me to see if I was too.

"Good morning," I smiled, opening my eyes.

"Good morning," he replied, and I expected him to leave now that I no longer needed his presence to sleep. But he stayed, gently pressing a kiss to my temple and laying with me a while longer.

When I could avoid the reality of morning no longer, I hauled myself up and to the washroom to get ready for the day. My room was empty when I emerged. I pulled a dress out of my bags to change into, then put the rest of my clothes in the closet.

The house was exquisite, with patterned moldings, carved banisters, and polished wooden floors. I wandered around the upstairs, peeking into some of the open rooms; then, feeling like a regal lady, I descended the spiral staircase. I explored the house some more. It was mostly bare; drape cloths covered the few pieces of furniture. My room was the only fully-furnished one that I had seen.

Back in the main hall, I ran into a plump woman of about forty carrying a lump of sheets. She started violently when she saw me, and her face went red.

Erik walked into the hall from another room and, taking in the scene, crossed to me.

The woman gave him a hasty curtsy. "Monsieur Daae," she addressed Erik. "Who is this young lady?"

Erik glanced at me apologetically. "I'm sorry," he told me, "I forgot to mention this to you. This is Jeanette Dubois, our maid. Nadir recommended her. She will come during the day to do housework."

"Oh yes," she rambled. "M. Khan is very kind. I used to work for him in his inn, but I liked the thought of working in a house much more—you always know the people you're serving—and so he found me a job here."

Erik nodded, awkward. "Dubois," he said, "this is my fiancé, Christine."

I smiled at the woman. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Madame Dubois," I said.

"Oh, dearie," she said. "Please call me Jeanette. It's what I'm used to." She shuffled her load of linens to a more comfortable position and started off again down the hall.

Erik turned back to me. "She came well-recommended, though Nadir always exaggerates these things." He took my hand. "The house isn't as ready as I would have liked. I was pressed for time."

I patted his cheek. "It's wonderful. Don't worry, Jeanette and I will have it looking like a home in no time." I paused. "You used my last name."

"Yes." He brushed his hand across the nape of his neck. "I do not actually know mine. I hope you don't mind."

I smiled. Of course I didn't mind. "I think it's wonderful."

He smiled back. "I thought we could visit Nadir today," he said, "to explain all that has happened. Then I will find a priest and arrange a wedding date."

"That sounds lovely. I'd also like to see Meg and Madame Giry to tell them I am all right."

So our plan was set. We had a light breakfast, knowing Nadir would serve refreshments, then took another carriage to his inn.