▷ 8

8-SILENT TREATMENT

➳➳➳➳

2 weeks, 13 minutes, and 28 seconds, it had been since Nova and Peeta had last talked. Waiting felt like an eternity-the endless agony of nothing happening. Just sitting there, watching the world continue around you, but you're stopped in time. Watching people rush around you, as you continue to wait for the impossible to happen. Something about waiting was scrutiny; a critical observation that was going nowhere. Everything about waiting was pure nonsense. Waiting to hear that you only have a few months left to live, waiting to hear that your love one is dying, waiting to hear that you're being left alone. Waiting can destroy your sanity, leaving you left with nothing but the voices inside your head, telling you nothing will change. Change is inevitable-love was one thing.

Nova felt hopeless. She would watch as Peeta walked to school in silence, his head bowed down, as more bruises and scars continued to form. She felt horrified, that his father's abuse intensified. She had made it worse. If she would've kept her mouth shut, none of this would've happened. Peeta's abuse would be mild instead of worse, their friendship would still be intact, and Nova wouldn't feel incredibly saddened.

Peeta was intentionally ignoring the blonde. He felt that she betrayed him, his trust even more. He promised her with his biggest secret, and she told it. Peeta knew she meant well, and wanted to help, and he greatly appreciated the gesture, but it only made it worse. His father's beating when from 180 to 360 degrees in one turn of event. His father was furious with the situation, and took that out on his son. His father felt that it was all Peeta's fault; punishing him for everything spiraling out of control. Peeta's father was used to being in control, and now that the control was being taking from his grasp, he made it a vengeance to take that control back.

Nova Mae didn't know what to think. She felt all her emotions clouding her judgement. She felt hurt, guilty, but yet angry. She was angry that Peeta was brushing off their friendship like it never existed. All Nova wanted to do was to fix her best friend's problem. She's always been one to fix problems that came her way. Nova was the fixable child in the District, even when she was younger. She didn't mean to make things worse for Peeta, but it did happen, and she couldn't stop it.

She lost this battle. The problem was permanently broken; it was unfixable, and so was herself and Peeta. Nova and Peeta were inevitable to be broken.

The blonde girl sat in the meadow, flowers gathered around her. She looked up at the bright blue sky, not a single cloud in the sight, the sun peering down on her. Her hands trailed through the endless means of grass, feeling the soft prick of the tip of grass make contact with the palm of hands.

Nova began to sing a song her mother used to sing her to sleep. A lullaby that helped her stay safe, and protected her from harms way.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow.
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow.
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes.
And when again they open, the sun will rise.
Here it's safe, here it's warm.
Here the daisies guard you from every harm.
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true.
Here is the place where I love you."

Tears rolled down the young girl's face, as she kept singing. She missed her mother. She could almost feel her mother's spirit lingering near her, as her soft voice filled the meadow. It was warm, soothing, and calming. It made Nova softly smile, knowing her mother was right by her side, through it all. Her smile disappeared, when she saw Peeta stand before her.

He sat down next to her, as he looked up at the blue sky. It was silent. The two didn't talk. Instead, Peeta interlocked their small hands together, as she laid her head on his shoulder.

Nova and Peeta were inevitable for love and friendship till the end.

➳➳➳➳