Chapter Fourteen

I'm in the Arena, running through a frozen wasteland. I don't know what I'm running from, but Tiffany is behind me. Where the heck are Preston and Adam?

My breath comes out in little clouds of white, and they start to show faster and faster as my breathing gets faster.

I'm starting to get tired, and I want to stop running, or at least slow down.

'No!' A voice in my head yells. 'You keep running!'

And I do. Until I hear a scream behind me, and the sound of someone hitting the ground. Tiffany.

I turn around, and she's on the ground, and by the way her foot is bending, she's broken something. S**t.

"Tiffany!" I scream, and start to run towards her, but the thing we've been running from gets there first.

Adam.

And in his hand is a bloodstained knife.

He grins insanely, and before I can stop him, he stabs her in the back, and the cannon goes off.

"No!" I scream, and turn to him. "You traitor!" I scream at him, and attack.

I wake up in a cold sweat, back in my room in the Capitol.

Breathing heavily, I swing my legs over the side of the bed, my feet hitting the plush floor.

Just ten seconds later, Adam bursts through the door.

"Are you ok? I heard screaming."

Oh great. I talk, or if he's correct, scream in my sleep.

"Nightmare." I shudder, remembering what happened inside of the dream, and edged away from him.

"What happened?" He asks, looking concerned. "Maybe it'll help if you talk about it."

"O...ok." I take a deep breath. "We were running through a frozen wasteland, the Arena."

"You and me?"

"No, me and Tiffany. I couldn't see what we were running from, but I knew it was bad, or Tiffany wouldn't be running so fast."

"Then, she tripped on some ice, and fell down. It looked like she had broken something in her foot. I turned around to help her...and then I saw what we were running from."

"What was it?" Adam asked softly, interested.

"It was....you."

"Me?"

"Yeah, it was you. You got to Tiffany before I did. You looked like you had gone insane, and lets just say the result wasn't pretty." I shivered a bit, thinking of Tiffany's "death".

Adam stays silent. "You know I would never do that, right?" He finally says.

"Yeah, I do. But what about losing your mind? There's always one tribute that does." I counter, and he winces.

"Here, I'll give you a promise." He looks me dead in the eyes. "I will not lose my mind in there. But if I do, I give you full permission to kill me before I hurt one of our alliance members. Okay?"

"Okay." I agree, and he smiles. "We've got to hurry up. Anna says we're to meet her at the breakfast table in twenty minutes."

I nod, and he leaves, shutting the door behind him. (A/N: People who do not shut my door as they leave my room have a special place in hell XD)

I slowly get dressed, thinking about what just happened. Adam promised, but what happens if he does lose his mind? I don't want to have to kill him, but he doesn't want to kill any of our alliance members.

I need to stop thinking like this. He will not go insane. He will not.

*****************************************

"Okay, this is proving to be harder than I thought." Anna says, and I bite back a retaliation.

We've been here for three hours, trying to come up with an angle for me for the interviews. Anna looks about ready to strangle me, and it's not been much of a cakewalk for me either.

We've tried everything. Funny. Cute. Sweet. Deadly. Fierce. Likable. Solemn. Humble. We even tried just straight up mean.

"What's Adam's angle?" I ask, curious.

"Funny." Anna replies. "I swear, if he was from the Capitol, he'd probably be making comedy videos on UsCube." (Get it? YouTube?)

"What's Us- nevermind." I decide, not wanting to know whatever "UsCube" was.

"Well, I've got nothing, Skylar." Anna says, defeated. "Just try to make them not hate you."

My heart sinks. I am dead. Dead meat. If I can't nail these Interviews, then it won't matter about my costume or my score. The Capitol will hate me.

"I'm screwed." I mutter, and Anna leaves the room.

Adam walks in, wearing a rainbow suit,neon green dress shirt, and a matching hat. I laugh, and he sighs.

"I learned the hard way. When Julio says, 'Let's try something a little more in style,' do not say ok."

I nod. Earlier this morning I was out in ten inch heels that were covered from heel to toe in bright pink sequins, and a bright blue dress with peacock feathers. Screw the games, the outfits here were much scarier.

"I know. I looked like a dead bird with disco balls for feet this morning." I say. "Well, at least you don't look like a leprechaun and a unicorn came and threw up on you!" He laughs.

"Fine. We're both idiot fashion victims of the Capitol." I reply, standing.

He smirks. "Ok, Idiot Fashion Victim number one." "Why am I number one? Why can't you be Idiot Fashion Victim number one?" I whine.

He laughs. "You are so annoying." "And you are so obnoxious." I counter, poking him in the arm.

"Come on, sis." He says. "The Interviews are waiting."

*****************************************