Chapter 13: Versus

Chapter 13: Versus

"Did you hear? This guy called Lenwin, challenged Nexus!" It was the first thing I heard after arriving in school. The whole school was talking about it. Lenwin wasted no time to spread the news. What he gets from it, I have no idea. Our race tonight already attracted a large crowd.

I spotted Alexis, Cleft and Dexter at our usual meeting place. "Lucas!" Cleft called waving his arms. "Did you hear about the news going on around here?" I shrugged already knowing what he means. "Lenwin? The whole school is talking about it."

"Do you think it's true?" He questioned. I shrugged again and looked behind them. "Ask him yourself, he's coming."

They turn around to face a grinning Lenwin. "What's up guys?" He greeted.

Cleft narrowed his eyes. "Is it true about the race between you and Nexus?" Lenwin's grin widened. He smirked at me before facing Cleft again. "Yeah. Why are you so worked up?"

"Are you deaf? You just challenged the strongest in the city!" Cleft exclaimed. "You're gonna get yourself squashed!" I looked away and instead focused on the cat walking on top of the wall, my ears still in the conversation.

Lenwin chuckled patting Cleft's shoulders. "Come on, brother. There's nothing to be worried about. You could watch tonight if you want." He grinned walking away, whistling

"Let's go too." Alexis said, turning her head to Lenwin's direction. "Right." Dexter muttered as he and Cleft went off to their class. I was left with Alexis and we started walking to class. "Are you going to watch tonight?" She turned her head slightly towards me. "No." I replied, still looking ahead. I wasn't going to watch, after all I was the one doing the racing.

"You two took too long." Lenwin was leaning beside the door of our class with a scowl. Where did his grin disappeared to?

"You don't have to wait for us." I told him. He shrugged as he moved away from the wall. "Karl was being too annoying so I left."

"Decent excuse." I muttered. "Anyway Len, don't start a fight with anyone anymore." I was going to be nice. He did manage to make me respect him a little.

Lenwin looked baffled as he stared at me in disbelief. "You called me Len..." He pointed out. I shrugged. "What's wrong with it? Did you not tell us that you preferred to be called that way? If you're staying with us, I'd rather get familiar with you."

Alexis and Lenwin shared a look. "You're confusing me." Lenwin stated. I shook my head and went inside the room.

Morning classes passed by in a blink. It was lunch and I was stuck in the library because of a detention Lenwin got me into. It all started on a bickering we had on an activity that didn't turn out well. Mr Caesar who was our teacher that time gave us both lunch detention for disturbing the class. I was sent to the library while Lenwin was given the task to clean the laboratories.

All I have to do was assist our eighty year old librarian to clean and arrange the shelves. I have to skip lunch because of the detention.

"Who do you think will win tonight." I heard a voice from the other side of the shelf I was cleaning. Curious, I peeked at an open space in between the two books and found two girls having a conversation. "I'm cheering for Lenwin. He's really cute." The other one answered with a giggle.

Lenwin has admirers now it seems. Shaking my head I returned the book to the vacant space. I was about to leave when the first voice spoke. "I heard that the guy in Nexus is hot."

"You believe that nonsense? For all we know he might be an old man since he covers his face all the time." Her friend replied.

I had to stifle a laugh. Is that what they think when I cover myself with a hood? Shaking my head I left them to resume cleaning the other shelves. Ten minutes later I was done with my work so I headed back to the front desk where our librarian is. "I'm done with the cleaning. Can I go now?" She nodded and I hastily left the library. My stomach was growling so I headed to the cafeteria. Hopefully the ten minutes left for lunch is enough to fill my stomach.