Posthuman

It was close to freezing outside but being surrounded by so many people was somewhat warming. The long strands of people slowly inched along to the registration booths. Everyone wanted to get their names in the contest. Something like this is what everyone was waiting for. After waiting for several hours I was finally nearing the computers to sign myself up. My stomach was nauseous, but my something in my chest fluttered with excitement. I was considering turning and leaving, but I thought about how much time I had spent standing in the freezing cold for this. Several minutes later I got to the forms. An older lady in an all grey uniform watched my every move. It looked like a normal form only the title was nothing I'd ever expected to be signing up for.

"Post Human Testing - Fill Out Information to Adopt Life 45"

I smiled at the fact it said adopt and wondered if it would really be like a pet. Would I have to feed it or teach it tricks? The thought made me giggle, and the old lady finally looked away like she didn't see me. I picked up the laser and began writing on the screen as neatly as I could, hoping if I wrote nice enough they would accept my form.

Name: Azetylen Levy

Area Code: 0054212

Exact Location: 0054212-2940

Date of Birth: 01-09-2107

Everything I wrote so far looked good to me. For certain people, mainly the older ones, it was foreign or weird.  I had always wondered what it was like to live in the year 2000. I had holograms of them. What they wore, the details of their face and their transportation, was all drastically different from what we looked like now. They wore thin, revealing and poorly made clothes that were sewn and made of cotton cloth.

Our clothes were made of microelectronic fibers that were fused together by a special machine. They were waterproof and stain resistant. And we could easily recycle them by taking them to an incinerator. There were a few conveniently built in the central with other shops.

You dropped them in what seemed like a bin. When the bin was full, the bottom of it would unlatch and the clothes would fall to another machine below it. The machine would reverse engineer the clothes and send the micro particles back to a clothing maker to be used again. This was the same for the everything else like furniture and old things that people didn't want anymore. Since these things were so easily recycled they didn't cost a lot.

Lucky for everyone who saved up their money because the whole building and shipping process of the PH cost more than anything I've ever bought before. I was willing to spend the money because even if something goes wrong and they all short circuit it would make a good story.

I continued filling out my contact information and came to the end of the form.

"Please understand there is a limited number of PHs that can be produced. A mass production of the machines will be started after all the admission forms are analyzed and sent into the public communications faculty. Only a thousand entrees will be accepted. If you are accepted you will be notified with a personal message from the public communications faculty. Receiving  the notification will take up to a week."

A small part of me shriveled when it said only a thousand would win. At the bottom of the form in small print there was another paragraph of information and a place for my signature.

"Life 45 Incorporated is not responsible for any PH related accidents or destruction of property. Please sign below to ensure that you accept these terms and conditions.

"I hesitated at first. How could it cause a problem? What does it even do anyways? I hoped it wasn't going to end up with the PHs taking over the human race like they did in old science fiction stories a long time ago. I was worrying a bit when I finished and sent in my form. But the worry faded into curiosity.

I walked home in a daze, thinking of what I would do with the PH. I didn't have the heart to make it be a maid and clean my apartment or do my work for me. Having it as my friend would've been a pathetic story to tell people.Then I realized it was basically useless to me, and I would've probably just kept it turned off and stored in the back of my closet. I didn't know what it would look like either. The manufacturers and company said that it was supposed to look like an actual human. Polar, my friend, said you could paid extra money and have it remodeled to make it look like another person. The idea was just creepy to me, but some people were celebrity crazy and this was their chance to take their craziness to the next level. He had signed up for the contest, too, earlier that morning. Actually, he was the reason I even considered putting my name in the competition.

After sending in the form and feeling a little uneasy because I had entered all of my personal information for strangers to see, I had to maneuver my way through the dense crowd of irritated, impatient people. I got plenty of remarks and comments about how rude I was the whole way out.

When I arrived home I was suddenly overwhelmed with impatience, and all I had to do now was wait.