Chapter 13

I froze. The insult stung, but his accusation against Geatland was what really shook me.

Heorot, under siege by trolls for two whole years? How on earth had we not heard of this? Whatever had happened between Hrothgar and my father in the past, Geatland never would have ignored such a threat. Hrothgar had to see that this was a misunderstanding.

"Your majesty," I implored. "You must believe me when I say Geatland has had no such news, or else we would have come immediately."

Hrothgar took a deep breath. He seemed to regain a bit of his composure. "I don't blame your father for not coming, girl," He grumbled. "He knows more than anyone how fruitless a fight with those monsters are. Still, a man has a right to his anger."

My mind could barely process his words. Two years. The trolls had been back for two years and we hadn't even known it. I shook my head, glad that my helmet helped to conceal the dumbstruck expression on my face. This was a surprise that I wasn't expecting, but I had to keep focus on my mission here. Ingrid was my priority.

"We have reason to believe that the trolls who kidnapped Princess Ingrid brought her to Heorot," I said.

"Of course she's in Heorot," Hrothgar snorted, as if this should be obvious. "The whole damn lot of them is. Their camp isn't more than ten leagues west."

A whole camp of them. I pushed aside my questions and went on. "Your majesty, I humbly request to assemble a search party looking for her."

Hrothgar gave a small laugh while the rest of the men filling the hall gave me looks of pure incredulity. "A single troll would kill your whole party without lifting a finger." The men around me stirred, murmuring their agreement. When the noise died down, Hrothgar leaned forward and became more serious. "Forget your sister, girl. If she's not dead already, she's bait for you and your father." But in just a split second the cruel gleam returned to his eyes once more. "Why not take it as a golden opportunity? With your sister dead, I suppose you'd be heir to Geatland now."

For a moment, my vision went red. I drew Spoon from its sheath with a metallic hiss. Gripping the hilt with both hands, I plunged it into the floor. The metal easily cleaved through the solid stone, sinking halfway into the ground. A gasp went up through the room, and some men reached for their weapons. I released Spoon's hilt and looked up to Hrothgar once more. His eyebrow was raised.

"I am Brynhildr of the Geats," I bellowed, raising my voice to be heard above the muttering crowd. "I have defeated a troll in battle-" an exaggeration, but the loud murmur from the crowd proved the white lie's worth- "and have the strength of ten men." Another exaggeration, but why quit while I was ahead? I fixed a steely gaze on the king sitting upon his throne. "I swear to you, if you give me your leave, I will rid Denmark of these trolls and find my sister."

Hrothgar regarded me for a minute more, allowing the crowd to stew. Beside him, Breca shifted nervously. The tension in the room continued to mount, and I saw my men reach for their weapons in my peripheral vision. Finally, Hrothgar raised a hand and the men instantly quieted.

"Very well," He said. Hope flared inside me, but I tempered it down. I did not like the sly smile that had crept upon his face. "I offer you a deal. If you can defeat my strongest warrior in holmgang, I shall give you all you need to attack the trolls."

"I accept," I said without hesitation.

The noise of the crowd flared up once again, and I silently cursed myself for my over-eagerness. Hrothgar thought to humiliate me, to see me brutally defeated before I could even begin my mission. There was no reason to make him suspect that perhaps it would be his champion who would suffer the defeat.