Chapter 17 - Name

"Name"

Unintentionally, I make a gasping sound as a dark grey wolf with red eyes emerges from the bushes. The wolf is quite big. Almost as big as I am.

This isn't looking good for me.

This really doesn't look good for me.

The wolf's saliva drips on the side and falls on the ground. Gross.

It lets out a low growl and glares angrily at me. I hope the wolf is not psychic and hears what I just said.

Its paw starts to knead the ground.

I gulp as my brain starts forming random plan.

Dropping on the floor and act dead is something people say to do in front of a bear. I doubt it works for wolves. I don't really know how to deal with wolves. They should teach kids these kind of things!

I curse silently since I learnt basic self-defence moves but not survival skills when lost in the woods. However, I doubt I can attack properly since the cuts on my hands are kind of deep.

I glance around and see a tree that might give me a better chance in climbing.

It doesn't matter if I was a prostitute or a rich boy right now. All in all, I am a full-fledged city boy. Nobody from the city would know how to climb woods unless they joined boy scouts or liked going to forests for the sake of 'entertainment'. I wish I were a country bumpkin. Maybe then, I could climb tree.

Oh, well. Talking about 'ifs' isn't really helping right now.

The wolf growls louder and my attention returns to it. I can see its movement. My heart is practically jumping out of me already.

Somehow, the moment it leaps towards me, I manage to crouch down in time. Its body flies past me and I take the moment of opening to run towards the tree I saw.

I jump up and hug the tree to keep me slightly above air. The wolf slams its face on to the tree. Probably because it misses its target which is me. I quickly climb up while making sure I don't slip and fall.

I lose my grip once but luckily, I manage to support myself on one of the tree's smaller branch. Thankfully, the tree is quite sturdy and able to support me as I try to climb higher.

The wolf jumps up and down trying to grab me. It manages to sink its teeth into my leg before I can move away. I scream in pain as tears start forming in my eyes. Both the pain in my hands and my leg makes my grip on the tree loosen.

I fall down with a thump and can feel my spine hurting. Ouch.

Today is the worst fucking day of my life.

Oh, wait. The worst fucking day of my life was the day I died.

Oops, not the right moment to laugh and reminisce or I will experience my second death.

The wolf lets go of my leg and continues to growl as it advances closer to me. I mistakenly kick its face using the same injured leg. The wolf and I scream in pain. The wolf recovers first and it seems to me that I have made it even angrier than before.

The moment the wolf lunges itself at me, I close my eyes and pray that I don't die.

The growling voice seems to increase yet the sound is moving away from me. I open one of my eyes to peek and there's nothing in front of me. Just when I thought I was dreaming, I notice that the feral wolf is being tackled by another big wolf on my left.

This new wolf seems bigger and its body has three colours. I assume it is male because I remember someone once told me three colour is rare on male animals so it wouldn't be strange for this one to have bigger body. It seems male with three colours are often considered as threat and that they are the king of their kind.