Chapter Twenty-Six

"Ichimatsu nii-san...?" Jyushimatsu called out pitifully, walking straight past 'Uncle Karamatsu'.

His eyes were focused on the flames. Their tongues of fire seemed to delicately wrap around each and every part of the house...like a snake. It was taking its sweet time, causing it to suffer.

Jyushimatsu stood directly in front of the front door, bits of roof falling off from above him.

"Knock...knock...?" Jyushimatsu whimpered, pretending to knock on the inflamed door. "I'm home, Ichimatsu nii-san..."

Jyushimatsu took another step forward, ignoring the excruciating temperatures.

"Do you..." Jyushimatsu bit his lip again, a single tear escaping from his eye. "Do you want to play outside with me again, nii-san...? We had so much fun the other day, Ichimatsu nii-san..."

Karamatsu, whom had been keeping his head down, looked up, his eyes widening in shock.

"JYUSHIMATSU GET BACK!" Karamatsu yelled just before part of the house toppled down in front of Jyushimatsu, blocking off the entrance.

"I-Ichi...matsu...?" Jyushimatsu choked, tears beginning to stream down his cheeks as he reached for where the doorknob would have been. "I'm...home..."

"GET BACK, I SAID!" Karamatsu yelled, running up from behind Jyushimatsu, grabbing him by his shoulders, pushing him back with all his might.

Jyushimatsu stumbled to the ground and burst into tears, yet he looked away, hoping his older brother didn't notice.

"Calm d-down..." Karamatsu said, his hands still trembling as he pulled out his phone. "I'll call the fire department..."

"They won't save nii-san!" Jyushimatsu choked, sobbing loudly as he rubbed his eyes with his mittens. "I want Ichimatsu nii-san!"

"No...no..." Karamatsu muttered, sitting down next to Jyushimatsu on the ash. "It's okay..."

Part of the house collapsed, creating a small opening.

"No it's not!" Jyushimatsu cries out, standing up, running towards the house.

"WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU?!" Karamatsu yelled out of fear, not anger.

But Karamatsu was too late.

Jyushimatsu had jumped inside the hole to find his beloved brother.