Encounter

Someone new had turned up at school

Someone new had turned up at school.  He was clearly in Third Form, but his face only looked about nine years old, as if he hadn't quite grown into his features yet. Matty looked on in pity as the boy leaned down to tie his shoe, clumsily spilling all of his belongings out of his unzipped pack.  If he hadn't seemed so flustered, it might've been comical;  the way he scrambled about trying to collect his things. His body was swimming in an ill-fit jumper, and the sleeves hung over his knuckles, as he brushed the long hair out of his eyes with an oversized hand. His name was George Daniel--Matty knew that much from hearing it cruelly whispered around the halls.

Four days later, as he was slipping out for a smoke at the end of lunch, he caught a glimpse of George through the cracked door of the music hall. Matty stood outside for a moment and watched him quietly tap on a snare drum, the small sounds echoing off the walls made him acutely aware of the room's emptiness. His gaze eventually fell to the half-eaten food that had been abandoned next to George's book bag.

No one ever offers to sit with him.

His constant mannerisms of fidgeting about restlessly, staring off distantly, and laughing much too loudly had not won him any companions. Strangely enough, George never really seemed to take note. He was truly an odd character and Matty was swiftly struck with an overwhelming desire to know him. Without taking a second thought at this notion, he found himself pushing the door open, allowing yellow light to stream into the dim hall.

"What are you doing George?"

A timid smile crept up on Matty as he took one look at the eager bewilderment on George's face, and in that moment, decided he would never let him sit alone at lunch again.