Chapter 1: 18th June, 2011

"Jonathon!" Her voice stung, her throat ached, but she didn't stop. "Jonathon!" She screamed into the wind. Sand stung her eyes, rotting seaweed over came her sense of smell, wind whipped her body, but she didn't notice. Her skinny jeans were scuffed and had sand all the way up her legs. Hair was falling out from her hastily tied low-pony, and her coat was damp, with tears and sea-spray alike. She was alone, running along the sand dunes, trying to outshout the cawing and calling of the circling gulls. "Jonathon!" She shrieked, and collapsed down into the sand, where she started to sob uncontrollably. "John..." She whispered into her knees, curled up on a peak of sand, staring at the tumbling waves...

Michelle handed her a mug of coffee. The woman took it blindly. Poor soul, Michelle thought. Imagine losing a child...  She sighed and smiled kindly at the shivering woman. "Do you want another blanket, love?" Shaking her head, the woman let a single tear drop down her face.         "No, thanks," She whispered.                                                                                                                        "They've got all the search teams out looking for him, love. No doubt they'll find him. Got dogs and helicopters and..." Michelle trailed off. She wasn't listening. You can't blame her for being in this state. She just lost a child, who was under her protection. Poor thing... The door slammed open, and a middle-aged, just greying man stormed in, followed hurriedly by an irate looking receptionist. "Beth?" He whispered. No, he snarled. "You lost Jonathon?" Bethany O'Sullivan just whimpered in response. He walked over to her and bent down to her level. "I never should've trusted you with my son," He hissed.                          

"I'm sorry, Pete," She whimpered at him. He rubbed a sweaty hand through slightly greasy mousy hair, and adjusted his tie out of habit.  "I never should have slept with you either!" He slapped her face, a stark flash of pain, but Beth didn't respond in the slightest. Michelle, still watching all of this, coughed awkwardly. Pete looked at her, and scoffed. "It's family business. Stay out of it." He grabbed Beth's wrist and dragged her to the door.

"In all respects, Sir, Beth should stay here so she can give more evidence if it's needed..." But it was too late. They had gone. Some people, Michelle thought, are just messed up.