Saved

I tore through the forest, hand in front of my face, sliced by scratches. Legs pumping, breath even, it's okay, it's just another race.

Panic.

A voice broke through, yet did not echo through the forest like the chirpings of the birds or the thumping of my feet on the sodden, slippery grass. It rang through my head, and I choked on its bitterness. The vampyre.

The rhythm of my heart was uneven now – my legs were straining, my breath coming in short, audible gasps. I couldn't outrun her; if she were trying to catch me she'd have done it already – she was playing with me. Why waste her breath when she could make me scream in agony without raising a finger?

Pain.

I crumpled to the ground, my insides writhing – my eyes burning out of my head, my limbs were on fire, but weak and malleable like water. I couldn't see anything but this red hot fire of pain, pain, PAIN it was agony, let me die, let me die, let me die....

A roar echoed through the forest; and suddenly I was lying on the ground, gasping against the soil – it was gone, it was gone, I was alive...

A tearing sound. I whipped around, on my feet in a second.

A wolf. Red brown hair standing up, it had its paw on her chest, and was tearing – ripping –

It looked up, it's deep brown eyes boring into mine.

"Shit," I breathed. "Shit."

But my feet were moulded to the ground like clay; I couldn't move. Think. THINK.