Chapter Forty-five

I'm pretty sure the three of us ghosts gasp at the same time. We look at each other, trying to come up with a plan. The only thing that comes to mind is "kill Derek with the devilsfoil," but he's wearing a thick armor, almost seems prepared for a battle.

"I did it," the voice drawls.

Oliver steps forward and removes the devilsfoil from his pocket. As Jose and I start to object, to join him in his confession, he waves us off and says, "It'll only make it worse."

I recognize immediately that he is the one who tried keeping me calm while I was almost trapped by my cocoon. But how? Was he there when I was trapped?

I can't let him take the fall for me.

I move toward Derek, but with a tight grip on my hand, Jose pulls me backward and doesn't release me until Oliver throws the stone onto the floor and approaches Derek.

He turns to John. "Will you go to the police, see that my kids are taken from Tonya? They should be able to link her to Weston Tibauld. I'm certain there's a connection. When they find it, will you notify my sister so she can pick up the kids?"

John nods. "I'll do that for you."

When John begins to speak, Derek removes the chain from his pocket.

"No," I scream as the chain stretches toward Oliver. It stops moving, and Derek shifts his attention to me.

"Cheline," Oliver says, looking backward. "Please don't interfere in this. It will only make things worse for everyone. I've been ready to go for a few days and would've talked to you about it last night, had you given me the opportunity. It's my time." His eyes almost seem to plead with me, but I can't understand what he is trying to convey.

"How do you know it's your time?" My voice is screechy.

"I just do." His tone is serious and there is no way to change his mind. I can't help but shake my head at his decision. But maybe he has a trick...or another piece of devilsfoil, up his sleeve.

As he takes another step toward the reaper, I expect him to whip out another stone and stab at Derek, but it is very anticlimactic. The chain curls around my former boss, and he crosses over silently to the other side with a smile on his face.

Derek turns to Jose. "Do you have devilsfoil, too?"

Jose shakes his head, but he does look like he's just seen a ghost.

"Empty your pockets."

Jose reveals that his pockets truly are empty. I'm fairly certain the stone around my neck is his.

"Very well," Derek says. "Is that the last of it?"

Jose and I exchange glances. The pirate answers, "Yes, I believe so."

"Then you may go, but you would be wise to warn your friends that I am coming and will continue to come at you until my reapers are found. Consider this your Christmas present. Next time, I won't be nearly so generous."

"Feliz navidad to you, too," Jose says. His tone does not reflect the good spirit of the holiday. "I will check with the other ghosts, see if they know anything about the reapers." He wills himself away before Derek can respond.

Amazingly, Derek does not question me as the stone pulses beneath my sweater. I honestly consider using it on him.

"Well, Cheline, I have a meddlesome reaper to deal with before attending some Christmas festivities, and you have some reapers to find for me." He seems to note the incredulity on my face. "Yes, I know you've found your answers, but I promised you a week and I intend to uphold that end of our agreement."