This Can't Happen

The snow pounded Berk in a fashion that hadn't been seen for years. A thick blanket turned the dwellings into just rooftops sticking out of hills of white as big as dragons themselves, and even tough and ready Vikings knew to stay inside when the snow rained it's fury down so harshly.

Yet still somehow both Astrid and Hiccup were both caught in the storm. But, for completely different reasons. Astrid, for one, just stayed out a little too long making snow angles and throwing snowballs around in the thick of the forest. While Hiccup just got lost looking for trolls just as thickly in the forest as Astrid did.

But, they both had the same eye for the cave within the thickness and the snow, seeking the same refuge at the same precise moment.

"Oh, great." Astrid groaned when she discovered Hiccup within the cave as well. She looked outside to see if there was still time to snag another spot to take cover, but the snow just came down even harder.

"Make yourself...er...comfortable," Hiccup told her tentatively , he had never had an actual conversation with her, so this was fairly new-and very nerve racking-for him.

"Whatever." Astrid snarled at him and made her way to the side of the cave opposite Hiccup. Hiccup sighed and decided to poke at the fire he had made while Astrid still frequently stared at him before she rolled her eyes and sucked her teeth in annoyance.

"Are you cold?" Hiccup asked sometime later when he noticed that the breeze and chill from the pounding snow was making the temperature inside the cave drop rapidly.

"N-no." Astrid shivered and turned her side to him. Hiccup sighed.

"Well, if you are, I have a pretty big blanket." He stated and pulled out a furred blanket from his backpack. Astrid corked a brow and looked over at his backpack.

"What's in that thing, anyway?" She asked.

"Just some supplies." Hiccup answered.

"What, did you know that you were going to get stuck out here or something?" Astrid wondered. She had just been goofing off and stayed out a little later in the snow than she needed to. But she wondered what he was doing there.

"I was looking for trolls, I think I have a good lead on one of them." He explained and Astrid just looked at him in a confused awe.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

"Wow, you're even stranger than I thought." Hiccup's face immediately dropped at this comment before he met Astrid's gaze.

"Why do you hate me so much Astrid?' Hiccup asked suddenly. This caught Astrid off guard as she perked up her face and widened her eyes.

"Wh-what?" She mumbled.

"You heard me," Hiccup said with a slightly smug smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Astrid said, crossing her arms over her chest and determined to be stubborn about the situation.

"Yes," Hiccup countered firmly. "You do." He gestured towards his blanket. "You won't even come near me even though we both know you're freezing." Astrid looked at the blanket as Hiccup spoke and sighed.

"What's your point?"

"Why do you hate me?" He answered with his previous question.

"I don't hate you Hiccup, I-I just don't hang around you, that's all."

"Why?"

"Why do you keep asking why? Does it mean that much to you that I say something to you?"