XVIII: Thank Me Later

~Abigail~

“I dare you to go up there,” Gabriel said with a smirk on his face.

“No!” I shouted. “Are you crazy?”

“Yes. Now go up there!”

“NO!”

“If you go up there I’ll make you cheese fries.”

“Uh…” I started thinking. Gabriel knows I have a deep love for cheese fries and he has claimed to make the best fries in the world. I have yet to try them and he was using it against me. “I don’t want to.” I stated weakly.

“I bought potatoes yesterday.”

“Nope.”

“And cheese.”

“Nope.”

“Think of the cheese being drizzled over the fries. The gooey cheese-” I groaned and he smiled in success.

“Fine. What song should I sing?”

“Roar.”

“Gabriel,” I said flatly. He knew the history of the song very well. “You know I can’t-”

“It’s either that or ‘Sexy and I Know It’. Pick one,” he challenged.

“Okay! Okay! You win!" 

“Good job!” Gabriel said to me while he picked he up and spun me around. I giggled in delight. The adrenaline from singing on stage has still not subsided and I was still high on excitement. “How’s it feel to get it all out of you?”

“It feels good.”

“Great.” He plants his lips on mine and I struggled to get out of his grasp. He pushed me onto him harder and my struggles were minutia. I opened my eyes wide and made eye contact with Dylan. Oh no, I thought. What if he misunderstands? What if he thinks me and Gabriel are more than friends? No! Dylan had a sad expression on his face as he started to turn away.

Eventually Gabriel pulls away and whispers just so I can hear, “You’ll thank me later.” He puts me down on the ground and I immediately turn to find Dylan to explain. He walked away and by the time I found him, he was standing next to Maggie, the sad expression forgotten on his face.

At school.

“You’re not that great of a kisser,” Gabriel said from across the table.

“Shut up. Who told you to do that so suddenly? What has gotten into you? What-"

“You’ll thank me later,” he said in a singsong voice. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. Before I could ask any more questions, a finger tapped me on the shoulder.

“Hey Abby? Can I, uh, talk to you for a second?” Dylan said nervously. “I didn’t mean to bother you two but-”

“It’s fine,” I said. I bid Gabriel a short farewell and told him I’d be back soon. Dylan led me to the library and we sat down at my usual spot.

“Are you and that guy going out?” he blurted. I choked on my spit and he looked alarmed at my seizure.

“No,” I choked out. He heaved a sigh before turning angry.

“Then why did he kiss you? Is he taking advantage of you?”

“No he’s not. It’s nothing.” He wanted to press on but I interjected, “Is this what you came here to talk to me about?”

“Uh no. I wanted to, uh, ask if you’re, uh, coming to the next game?” he asked hopefully.

“No. Should I?” I asked skeptically.

He sighed. “Yes. But this time don’t come for school spirit.”

“Will there be another raffle for a lucky girl again?”

“No. But come for me? Please?” His eyes were practically pleading for me to go to the game.

“Sure,” I blurted subconsciously. My hands flew to my mouth in surprise. He beamed with delight and smiled one of the genuine smiles I haven’t seen since last summer.

“Great,” he said with one of his gorgeous smiles. Great, I repeated in my head again. Just great. What am I going to do now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Vote and comment! Follow for updates! Thanks for reading!