Ch. 07 - After GYM

"So, you a freshman then?" Sammy leaned into me uncomfortably. Invasion of my space, but, hey, I was used to that. And, as far as those sorts of things go, Sammy was completely harmless. He was more likely to break his own poor little heart than to cope a feel at me. And though he may have been taller than me, let's just say my money'd still be on me at the end of the day. At least I knew something about throwing my weight around.

At least Brandon had seemed to loose interest in me after I'd refused to talk to the people he dragged me around to introduce to me. If you wanted to stay on top of the social ladder you couldn't bog yourself down too long with antisocial people. No matter how pretty they might be. A fact I was counting on. By the time the GYM 'teachers' blew their whistles for attendance the entire room had lost all interest in me. Statues may be pretty, but their also pretty boring. Even the naked ones.

"So not a freshman then," Sammy asked as we lined up before the same teacher. Don't ask me why gym would be by class. Maybe it was a feeble attempt at keeping a group of students around the same size.

I ignored Sammy, glad he was a quiet spoken little prep outside his click of girlfriends.

"So how old are you," he tried again.

"Look," I turned around to tell him off only to catch a glint off his left shoulder.

Shit! The boy had a bloody fairy. Probably didn't even know they existed, let alone that bad things came to those who disrespected him. Was that the reason this place was so overly homo-...friendly? Because homophobes just happened to meet with unfortunate little 'accidents'?

All that...didn't mean I had to be nice to him. Just that I'd have to keep an eye out for the damn fairy.

Sammy was looking at me with wide expectant eyes. Oh, right, I'd started talking to him.

I sighed.

"Look, Sammy. I'm sure you're a great guy, but I just got out of a bad two year relationship and I'm not looking to build a new one."

"We could just be friends," he whined quietly. I turned away stiffly to make my point. Poor kid looked like he was going to cry.

How could he possibly be lonely? Yeah, fairies could get pretty jealous of their property. But, they were social creatures too, and they loved to be envied. No way this kid had less than a thousand friends.

"Well, that could have gone better. Look what you've done now," said a voice at my shoulder. I looked out if my peripheral vision the find a tiny body on my own shoulder. Dragonfly wings, so that would make this a Pixy. And that concludes about all I knew about the demifey.

"And you are?" I asked quietly without trying to look at her. Looking directly at her caused her to seemingly fade away. Pretty cool camouflage.

"Sa'Vanna," she whispered into my ear, dangling off my shoulder. "And you've managed to upset my little angel."

"As sorry as I am about that, your ward is not getting in my pants. End of story. And you wouldn't want me leading your poor boy on, now would you?"

"Actually, that'd work just fine with me. He'd go off market, with someone who wasn't going to take him from me...maybe then I could even let him make a few more friends or get a little closer to the ones he's got."

"Don't tell me you have a little tinker bell love interest in this guy. You do realize you don't have the right anatomy for him, right? Aren't you supposed to be a guardian to him anyway? Doesn't that make this an oedipus complex?"

I felt a disproportionately hard kick to my shoulder blade.

"I can make a game of you or we can make games together. So what'll it be Trick or Treat, Kitten?"

"Who's pissed you off more than me," I asked dejectedly. I sighed. 

To be fair, I was actually pretty lucky. If she didn't want to use me for whatever pixy stick trick she could have become the kind of pest no exterminator could have dealt with. Still, I didn't have to be happy about becoming her meat mule.

"The kid you messed with this morning."

The rest of her tirade had to pause so I could answer roll call. And a bit after since everyone was looking my way for a moment and I'd rather not be seen talking to myself too much.

"Yes," I prompted as quietly as possible.

"He's found a way to ward against me. Rather pisses me off."

"And..." I was bored. Sounded like I should ask the guy for tips not connive against him.

"Fine, first tricks on you."

"Shit!"

Several people turned around to look at me for my rather loud profanity. They just so conveniently happened to miss the buzzard winged bitch dusting me before she flew off.

I managed to make it to the bathroom before the visions started.

-------------------

I wasn't one person for very long. A long string of perceptions from myriad different people, all with the same pain, despair, depression, all caused by the jock who's shirt I still wore. Petty bullying, the kind adults and peers overlooked, the kind that should but hurts. All hidden behind jocks and joviality.

On and on I was lost in their agony, reliving it. Enough to drown in.

Except our winged friend hadn't known I'd survived far worse. She'd probably meant to incapacitate me with his victims pain, but I was stronger than that.

When I was finally released from the phantasm I steadied myself against the bathroom sink, took a long hard breath, then worried I'd gotten marked truant to the rest of my classes.

Five minutes.

What seemed like years worth of pain...and it was only five minutes of gym class. Figures.

---------------------

"What do you want," I breathed into my shoulder finding a nice abandoned corner after checking back in with the teacher.

"Nothing much. You're just going to wear a little sprig for me to get close enough to the little prick. It'll just make him go a little crazy's all."

Werewolf...crazy...

"This is such a bad idea," I held out my palm behind my back anyway. Shawn was right, I just outright asked for trouble, didn't I?