If I Had You

When something changes in your life, you never expect who you are to change. Your personality, your interests, your hobbies. If something catastrophic happens, if life decides to throw another hurdle at you, you grow up pretty quickly. How else are you going to overcome the hurdle? It's all part of growing up. But when that hurdle is the death of someone you love, the changes are dramatic. Your brain shuts down, too overcome with emotions and tears to form a single coherent thought. The grief becomes so strong that you'll lay awake at night, out of tears, and robbed of your will to do anything, much less rest. When my brother died, I changed. I transformed into someone I never thought I could be- a grief stricken teenager. No more parties. No more popularity. No more easy-going life or high social status. I lost it all. And I didn't care. All I cared about was my brother. But not even my brother's passing could prepare me for what came next. For the biggest hurdle that could have been thrown at me. Just that this one, I had never expected to come in the shape of another teenager, a girl that I was more alike to than I cared to realize at first. Just as I had lost someone, the world decided to give me someone else. And just like I changed the first time, I changed again. That's where I'll begin this story. When I met my hardest challenge. Love.