Chapter Fifteen

"What do you mean someone killed him?" I asked Gretta hoping that is what not true. I won't be able to lose him as well. Malachi alone is enough to destroy me, but the man who guided me, who stayed with me during my expedition into the world, would make me lose all hope.

"I had a spy of sorts keeping tabs on you since you left." She said with a pained expression as I let her into the room and let her sit on the side of my bed. "One of her descendants got into contact with me when she failed to contact Jonas."

I let the fact that she had a spy assigned to me due to the fact that I know she was looking out for me. And to the fact that my parents were never told. All she did was keep tabs on my whereabouts. I let her vent as I hugged her close. I know how much Jonas meant to her. When they both lost their Beloveds in a long past war, they were each others rocks.

"She went over to his house and found him in the basement drained of his blood." She said as her face fell. I have never seen Gretta cry and I don't I ever will, but the look on her face was the closest to it that I have ever seen. "She said that the pain she felt in the room. The distraught, the confusion, all the emotions flowing around the room was overwhelming. Whatever happened there, something was angry."

"It will be okay." I reassured her as I hugged her tighter to me. "We have each other." I tried my best to reassure her wondering if it was enough. And at the same time I began to wonder just what kind of monster could kill Jonas. He was one of the strongest people I have ever known. He fought alongside Dracula himself against the Turks. Just what managed to kill him.

"Do we know anything about it? Can you give me your contacts number?" I asked her as she handed me her black smartphone. Amazing, even the vampires here made use of the human's technology. It was odd that the hatred they had for humans still allowed them to use their inventions.

I put Gretta in my bed as I went through her phone's contacts. I made it to my door and began to open it slowly. I stopped short, when I came upon a name I did not suspect from her phone. Haylie Andrews. Why the hell did it have to be her?

I called the number and listened as it rang twice.

"Gretta, we have a problem!" Came Haylie's frantic voice on the other end. I have never heard her sound so troubled.

"Haylie." I responded as I closed the door softly behind me.

"Ashlynn?" She asked as her voice dropped. I don't think she expected to be hearing from me.

"What is the problem?" I asked her hoping that we won't have to visit any of the memories of when we were in high school.

"Where's Gretta? I need to talk to her." Haylie quickly snapped back, trying to order me.

"Haylie, I will warn you this one time." I told her lacing my voice with authority and hoping it transferred over the phone. "Gretta is currently busy, tell me the problem or hang up. And mind the disrespect. Today is not the day to be disrespecting me."

"Yes, your Highness." She said softly before she took a deep breath. "Malachi's body is gone." She added as I took a deep breath in. "Jonas looked to be attacked and savagely drained. The bags in the freezer are untouched and Mal's body is gone."

"Malachi." I told her knowing that Mal didn't like others using his name.

I thought about all the possibilities of what might've happened, but I came up blank. I couldn't think of a way that could explain what happened? And why would whoever did this, take Mal's body. And why would they kill Jonas?

"Just keep your eye out. Any information would be greatly appreciated." I told her over the phone before I decided to hang up. I rested my head against the wall as I thought of the future. First Malachi dies, then Jonas, and now Malachi's body is missing. Why would anyone do this?