Episode 1: Pilot (8 - 10)

(This completes episode 1 and hopefully it's delivered a satisfying narrative arc, that being to find safety, while leaving plenty of dangling threads while making you want to read more. I've pretty much sown the seeds for much of what's to come, so there are hints here and in episode 1's narrative to indicate how things will develop.

Currently, it's possible this needs some more work. I know that I'm tempted to add in some more description of the barracks and Bishop's room. That said, at least you know how the story proceeds and I do apologise for the long wait.

Moving forwards, I'm not going to set a schedule for uploading. The reasoning is that my life's kind of a mess financially speaking at the minute, so I need to divert my time to non-fiction/web writing at the minute to try and build a revenue stream which frees me to work on fiction without worry. I've been struggling a lot, hence the delay. But I want to make it clear that while I'm not sure when I'll next update, I am still going to work on this when I get chance. I think that, if I do things right, the ending I have in mind has the potential to be rather moving and I do not, by any means, think the story is a load of rubbish. Quite the opposite. Also, I was tempted to put in a little sneak peek for episode 2, but I don't want to tease anything with not knowing when I'll next update.

Oh and fun fact: This is approaching novelette length and with just one episode, it's almost double my longest story's word count. So, I'm proud of that.

Thanks for reading everyone and I hope you enjoy the read.)

8

Haven’s streets, essentially many winding dirt trails between the earthen buildings, stands and shacks, bustled with activity. It was every bit a hub of civilisation, but growth of late had slowed. And if there was one thing that Victor knew Bishop wanted, it was growth. Knowing this and armed with the information that Kira had given him, he headed to Bishop’s home. A concrete building that towered over the others and housed everyone who was responsible for keeping Haven safe, much like a barracks would have in the old days. One sure–fire way to achieve said growth would be to have a Stalker residing in Haven. And with realising the importance of bringing the potential Stalker to their cause, he walked with a purpose towards Bishop’s home.

Soon enough, he reached the dirt trail leading up to Bishop’s home and the barracks, flanked by many smaller buildings on either side and in front. Outside, two guards wearing white vests nodded to Victor. “He inside?” asked Victor.

“Yeah,” said one of them.

Victor nodded, walked up the trail and opened the metal door. The walls were plain, and corridors branched off from the main hallway. On the left side of the hallway, towards the back, a staircase wound upwards and Victor walked up them.

At the top of the stairs, Victor knocked on the door to Bishop’s home and office.“Bishop?”

“Come in.” came the voice from behind the door. Victor entered the room and saw Bishop sat behind his desk, reading some sheets of paper. “What is it, Victor?” asked Bishop, as he put the sheets down.

Bishop was of average height and build, with a mop of black hair. His distinguishing feature was a scar that started above his left eye, missed his eyeball, and ran down his cheek.

“We found the girl.”

Bishop gave a slight nod. “Good. I assume there’s more?”

“Yeah. The girl said a krall was sighted outside Haven, though she claims it’s dead.”

Bishop smirked. “She killed it herself?”

Victor smiled. “No. She claims a man killed it who found her wandering the wastes. Said he seemed like he was one of those Stalkers spoken of in the tales, though she mentioned that they were separated.”