TWO: Starboy

"You completely abandoned me last night!"

Lance hummed in shame at Shay's commentary, the soothing lyrics of The Smiths flowing out of her phone. "I passed out, I would have gone... but it's just been a stressful week, you know?" Beyond Shay's intimidating squinting, Lance knew that her anger was lessening with each nanosecond, ultimately sighing before they turned into the hectic cafeteria. Seniors and Juniors occupied most of the malodorous room, and Lance's eyes instantly noticed the crimson-red hair of his neighbor, now placed in a low ponytail.

And, boy, was that hairstyle doing things to Lance.

Subconsciously running his tongue over his bottom lip, he tried to pry his eyes away from the lone boy, sitting by himself at the six-seated table, but failed in doing so. Stopping in his tracks, Lance felt a surge of courage flood his rationality, spinning around to face Shay's perplex expression. "Listen, I'd love to chill out to Oasis and David Bowie for my first lunch period of the school year, but..." Trailing his eyes over to discretely direct her attention to Keith, he hoped Shay would catch on to his silent farewell.

"Ooooooh, I see, I see. Leaving me for your pursuit in romance, eh?" Dramatically faking heartache, Shay placed her two palms over her heart, gasping with such brash vigor. "I... I am hurt." Pouting, Lance repeatedly blinked his eyes, pleading for Shay to understand and accept his parting. About half a minute later of begging, and discarding any ounce of dignity Lance held onto, Shay groaned in agreement, patting Lance's shoulder for good luck.

Lance owed Shay bigtime for being such a good friend, and he made a mental note to buy her something after school for an apology... something that would scream: 'Sorry I'm totally leaving you for the hot piece of ass that lives next door for the second time this week, but I love and appreciate the living hell out of you.'

Navigating his way throughout the slew of jocks and hyperactive kids was worth it in the end, even if he almost tripped over the wasted food on the floor seven times, because he had been blessed with an opportunity to converse with Keith Kogane. The guy he creepily watched getting boned not even a full-day prior. Storing any memories of the previous night to the back of his brain, Lance tapped the table to receive Keith's attention, getting an astonished countenance in response to his actions.

Bashfully waving, Lance displayed the best smile he could under such awkward conditions, the itch to pick at his cuticles bubbling up inside. "We meet again." The moment after he blurted out those words, instantaneous regret coursed through his veins. If he could be smooth with every person back in Colorado, why was he such an unexperienced tool when it came to Keith Kogane?

Digging his chin into his left palm, Keith repositioned himself on the uncomfortable plastic seat, a miniscule lift appearing at the corner of his lips. "Hey, Lance. You have a lunch during fifth period?"

How is it humanely possible to look that ravishing when your cheek's pressed up on your hand? Lance's self-esteem dropped to an all-time low, remembering the photo Pidge took of him at his house when he was dozing off in the exact pose Keith was in, and how his cheeks resembled the fattest chipmunk that ever lived. "A-ah, um, yeah. Every other day, though! Algebra 2 sucks this early in the morning. I fucking hate Diophantus & Hipparchus for even thinking of these shitty math topics. Well, to be fair, I hate math in general, even though I like counting my footsteps or finding patterns between the times on the clock. Simple math – yeah – easy math is comforting." Lance was cursing himself out for not being able to control his tense, anxious babbling, but accepted the fact that he was making a complete fool out of himself. "I'd quit any job that would have a math major required. That would suck, you know? I just get migraines from staring at numbers for too long. Ah, sorry if I'm rambling on, I do that when I'm shy... sorry, I should stop... yeeaaahhhh... I'll do that."