Part Two

Day by day, the boy came and went, came and went, only to find the man still sitting at the same table, in the same chair, in the same position, still mumbling. The boy sat in the same spot, in front of the man, listening to his words as though they'd been a song, as before. Suddenly, a homeless little girl came along, younger than the boy, then came into the coffee shop, ragged clothes and all, walking over to the man and the boy. Both the boy and the girl said nothing. All the boy did was reach his hand out, pulling the girl up onto the chair beside him, in front of the man who had been mumbling. Both of them heard a song from the man, but all else heard the same, meaningless, jumbled words. The little girl felt differently than the boy, as though she'd been given something. She felt as though she was given hope, something to drive her day, something she should live for. And, for the first time since her birth, a smile spread across her face. As the day passed, each of the two sat there, listening to the man's voice. However, the boy stood from his chair. The little girl requested to know where he was going. He stated he was leaving, telling her to remain here and to pass on the song of the man to the next child who comes unto him. The boy then left, but the girl did not cry, even after losing her first potential friend. Instead, the smile remained on her face. She listened jovially as the man mumbled. But, as all others passed, they heard the same thing. Jumbled, meaningless words.