Chapter 6 - Prince

Living in Seventh Heaven is the best thing that could have happened. For the past five years, I've been so happy. I've heard nothing from Rex and I don't care. I only avoid any social media sites for fear of him finding out I'm alive.

The seven women in my life are all I need. They love me in unique ways and I'm grateful for it.

Daisy is my new mother. She takes care of me, advises me and scolds me. Whenever we go together to the village, she introduces me to people as her son. I try to keep a cool attitude, but my stomach does a small flip of joy whenever it happens.

On chilly nights we sit on the porch with a cup of hot chocolate and cover our legs with a blanket. We talk about everything. She knows my worries and what makes me happy. On one of those occasions, she shared with me the unfortunate events that brought her to the pension. She lost her infant daughter and her husband in a car crash before moving here. Her daughter would have been my age. 

Dora has become a grandma. She spoils me with small gestures, such an extra piece of pie or a tall glass of cold lemonade on a hard day of work. She says I'm growing and I need plenty of nutrition. I'm not sure the giant dollops of whipped cream count. She has also taught me how to run the business. By now I know how to keep the books, purchase inventory and keep our customers happy.

I've learned sign language to understand Dana. She is a riot and has a wicked sense of humor. Her favorite thing is to make funny faces or rude gestures behind Daphne's back. I see little of Dana lately. A few months ago, a deaf guy brought his cat to her mini hotel before taking a vacation. When he came back, he asked her out on a date which by now have become too many to count.

Daphne's attitude towards me has transformed. When she couldn't find someone to home school me, she did it herself. She would sigh, mumble and curse while doing it, but she did it with rough love. I took the general exams and passed them thanks to her. She knows I love to read and brings me a new book whenever she goes shopping. I had to thank her for all she has done for me and I found the perfect gift for her birthday. It took long but I'm sure she will like it.

Delia showed me that beauty can be found in the most unusual things. She points patterns on the scales of reptiles, the beautiful feathers on our bird friends, or the colorful flowers in the garden. I still refuse to look at the spider. I don't think I will ever find it pretty. Not even the poetic descriptions of Delia can help that. She also taught me how to sing. My teenage voice turned deep and sounds decent. So far the dogs don't howl with me or run away, so I must do something right.

Dottie and Darla are my godmothers. On my 21st birthday they gifted me a horse. They found a skinny abandoned pony and nursed it to health without me knowing. Onyx is a black stallion and I love taking him for a ride around the premises. This weekend, I will show him at the county fair and hope to win a prize.

"Winter, can you work the reception for me?" Daisy asks. "I have a doctor's appointment,"

My chest feels tight at the mention of a doctor. Daisy was sick in the past weeks and Dora had to bring her to the emergency room in the middle of the night.

"Don't look at me with so much worry," she caresses my cheek. "I'm feeling better. This is only a follow up visit,"

"You scared us. Daisy, if something happens to you..." my throat closes.

She holds me in her arms. I tower over her and when she hugs me, I feel again like a little boy.

"I don't know if I will see old age, but I don't think life is so cruel it will want to separate us early,"

"I hope you are right,"

"My beautiful boy. Well, you aren't a boy anymore. You are a handsome prince," she caresses my hair and makes me smile. "I'll be back in an hour,"