Chapter 22

Early Thursday morning, March 7, 1960

Elvis' press conference, "Home from the Army" is taking place right in Vernon's office. The room's cramped- with reporters and photographers. Elvis forewarned me about today's hectic schedule.Without having the need for Elvis to persuade me to hide my face, I kept myself away from the press, in my room. I listened to old records catching up with Ashley and her new Memphis boyfriend on the phone. The press already probably knows I live here, but this conference isn't about me, it's about Elvis.

After everyone fills Vernon's office, I sneak downstairs hoping to eavesdrop from outside the hallway. I'm expecting the same questions and answers, but as I patiently wait for "the girl he left behind" question.It was yet to be asked. Half an hour later, I'm still waiting for that question to arise. Growing impatient, the conference ends, loud laughter and voices become soft muffled sounds. I dash back up the stairs hoping a photographer doesn't catch me. As I shut the door, I breathe easy, relieved. I look out my window seeing Elvis waving good-bye to every single press that came. I look down gazing at his outfit. He's wearing all black, with his shirt unbuttoned low. His hair's in it's absolute prime right now. He just looks so, perfect.

I catch myself gazing at his perfection a little too long. I snap back in to reality turning off my record and running down stairs. He shuts the front door and runs a hand through his hair. He glances up at me and opens his arms. I run to him with a giggle.

"You look great, Pelvis." I say happily.

He chuckles.

"Think so?" He asks innocently.

I look up at him with a grin.

"Post army Elvis is my favorite look."
His lips begin to curl.

"Your hair, your clothes. Just--"

He stops me, chuckling.

"I'll keep my hair like this forever then. He sweetly says.

I giggle, "I like your late sixties look too."

He throws his arms up in the air with a funny look.

"Just say you'll sleep with me at any era!" He howls out laughing uncontrollably.

I join in the laughter smacking his chest.

"But now I can look at you while we do it." I say patting his shoulder.

He stops laughing and glares at me. I laugh out kissing his cheek. He growls at me playfully and I run away from him. He chases me continuing with the playful growling as I run around the kitchen, the music room and finally the back yard. He grabs me by my waist from behind and lifts me up. He carries me over the threshold, I glance at him and he's beaming. I peck him on the lips and cup his cheek.

"I love you." I softly say.

He smirks putting me on the fresh grass. He towers on top of me, our foreheads touch. He brushes his lips against mine and smirks.

"I love you more."
_________________
Friday evening, March 8, 1960

I'm sitting on my bed, listening to my iPod. Oblivious to my surroundings, I take in my music. Without even realizing, Elvis walks in bewildered.

"What the hell is that?!" He yells out shocked.

Stunned, I take both earphones out staring at him lost with words.

"Um, well my iPod touch..."

His eyebrows raise. He points to my beats earphones.

"Earphones." I quietly mutter.