Prologue

[** Louis POV' **]

[this chapter was inspired by the new moon soundtracks 'The Score']

               I used to wonder what the world was like, what sound was and what voices that I was capable of. People plant white roses to symbolize silence. Quiet and innocent, like the person I was known as. When I was very young I thought life would be like one long and perfect summer day. After all, it started out that way. We were five beautiful children with blond and brown hair and porcelain skin. Some people said we looked like those fancy dressed dolls that were on hung shelves and mantels. 

                 Only we weren't just admired....I for some reason, was their favorite. You could sometimes say that's what most people envied about me. My golden tan skin, feathery brown hair, unique appearance,sparkling sea green eyes, soft gentle hands that play the piano, we were all really loved...but I was special. Life is full of surprises, my mother use to say- and greed, and fear and shame. As I soon learned...and hopelessness. I never colored, even one of my papers other than a white rose. It reminded me a lot like myself, silence....mute.  All I had were the descriptions my mother would give me of my dad, stutter out. 

     Although, even then everything was fuzzy and unclear in my mind. It's so hard to picture everything, since that day...when my mother was shouting after my father to stay. However, ever since he left, I really didn't care anymore. Why would I want to speak to a world so cruel?

For once I'm actually happy to have gone mute.

           I did want to know what he looked like though, without the pictures..just him. Maybe somewhat like me? Were his eyes the color of what my mother called blue. What was blue? She always told me it was the color of peace and tranquility...but all I seen was darkness when I looked at them. A lot like mine. My mother told me I had gotten my voice from herself, sweet, gentle, and loving. She still remembered even when she told me how much she missed hearing it.

However, that's all I ever really was. Silent, like a doll. Everything was always silent. Nothing made noise. I used to hate that.

[** Flashback **]

             "She isn't coming back Lou," a hand enveloped my own...tugging for me to follow. The voice kept telling me "We have to go, please Lou we have to go!" but I didn't even listen. I ignored it and sat down in the cold empty house, that was once loved so much more than this before. The room was dark, maybe even a little scary..but I couldn't leave. The hand wouldn't stop shaking me until, I finally looked up and realized it was my third to youngest sister, Lottie. We were the closest out of my four annoying sisters...she never bothered me as much. I regret saying that.

"Aren't you going to come along Lou?" she had asked me. 

"No," I responded by shaking my head furiously into sobs and clutching tightly onto the old picture.

My eyes rose up to meet with hers, staring deeply confused. "No he's coming back. He said he'd never leave me alone. He said that he'd never leave me!" I yelled.

"Oh Boo," my sister cooed and wrapped her arms around me, now crying too. She held onto me tight with complete silence and sobs until she finally spoke, "Everything's going to be alright. We're going to be fine."

"He's coming back," I said with stubbornness.

"No, he isn't," she grabbed my hand and tugged me anyway.

"NO!" I screamed, trying to let my wrist loose under her grip. "NO! If he's gone, then I'll leave too! He was my voice! My voice!"

I always thought of my dad as my voice, even when people would deny this..he'd tell me what he'd hear. Explain things to me.