The Truth Comes Out

The next morning Amelia woke up to see Scarlett fast asleep next to her. Her pacifier had fallen on the bed next to her. She had her thumb in her mouth, hugging her puppy and blankie in that elbow while lying on her stomach.

Amelia placed the back of her hand on the girl's neck, and she was still burning up. There was a knock on the door, and Owen peered in.

"Hey." Owen whispered.

"Hi." Amelia whispered, getting up to greet her husband. She kissed him and he pulled her in a hug.

"How's she doing?" Owen asked.

"She's still burning up." Amelia said, sighing.

"I remember when she came in yesterday that she had a fever. She apparently has had that fever for days." Owen said.

"What the hell, who doesn't take care of a sick little girl?" Amelia asked, angered.

"Her foster parents are in jail, the sister is an orphan. I have the files of what happened to her." Owen said, handing them to her. Amelia sat on the couch and began to read. She couldn't control the tears from falling down her cheeks.

Her birth mom was a teen mom under the age of 15, and she gave her up for adoption. Troy and Yolanda had been fostering her since she was 7 months old. They have been abusive ever since. She was starved half the time, they barely fed her. She had no toys or anything, just the blankie that her birth mom left with her. The sister, Gabrielle, was forced to hurt the girl too, otherwise she was hurt too.

"So what's next for her?" Amelia asked as she wiped her face.

"When she's not sick anymore, she'll go to the girl's orphanage down the street from our house." Owen said. Amelia put her head in her hands. That little two year old had been through so much, she felt so bad. Owen rubbed her back for a while as they sat in silence.

"Amy?" Scarlett had woken up. Amelia stood up and went over to the girl.

"Good morning." Amelia said, smiling at her.

"Hi." Scarlett said, putting the paci back in her mouth.

"Do you want Owen to get you some breakfast?" Amelia asked, sitting on the bed next to her. Scarlett nodded, so Owen left to go to the cafeteria.

Owen came back with some cheerios and orange juice. Amelia took her temperature and got the tray table out. Scarlett ate up the cereal and drank all the juice.

"Good job honey. What do you want to do now?" Amelia asked.

"I wan ta sit on your wap an watch TV." Scarlett said. Amelia picked her up and sat on the couch, sitting the girl on her lap. She put the paci in her mouth, holding her blanky in her hand and hugging her puppy as she snuggled up to Amelia.

As the next few days went on, Amelia and Scarlett began to share this unbreakable bond. Scarlett's fever went away, and Amelia really got to know her. She was the sweetest girl with the most adorable giggle and smile. She loved hugs and kisses, and loved to snuggle.

Owen was a little worried with how attached to eachother they were, but seeing Amelia with the little girl made him smile.