Chapter 10: Switcharoo

Important A/N: For all those who have been keeping up to date on this story, you've already read this chapter. Originally, this was chapter 9, but I wrote a new chapter 9, so you'll need to go back and read that one.

Ari:

After hearing the rumors about my sister the day before, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Emma wasn't going to stand up for herself, so I'd spend the day doing it for her. She slept as I raided her closet. I'd turned her alarm off already and told our mom that she was sick. Emma had been up late the night before, so I knew she'd have no problem sleeping late.

Emma and I never really pulled switches like this, but I was willing to make an exception this time. We might have been twins, but I was glad that she wore baggy clothing. I doubt I could have fit my fat ass in skinny jeans and tight shirts in her size. I knew I wasn't fat, but Emma's eating habits made her a bit thinner than I was.

Once I was dressed, I headed downstairs for a quick breakfast. "Mom, don't worry about checking in on Emma. I just did, and she seems okay right now."

"Are you sure? I left everything out that she'll need, and I want to make sure she knows it's there. There's soup, a pot, a can opener, medicine..." She trailed off, looking at the counter. "Do you think I've forgotten anything?"

I shook my head, but didn't want to say that I doubted she'd need all that. At the sound of footsteps on the stairs, I hurried out the door, reminding my mom, "Don't let her talk you into going to school, Mom. I don't want to have to worry about Emma getting sick."

My mom didn't seem to realize that I was wearing Emma's clothing. Grabbing Emma's bag, I dashed out of the house, shutting the door.

Good grief, I hoped this plan would work. A block from my house, a shout sounded out behind me. "Emma!" It took me a moment to realize I should be answering to that name.

"Can I help you?" I asked as I turned towards the guy calling my twin's name.

His brows furrowed as he flicked his dark hair out of his eyes with a finger. "Sorry, I missed that. Could you repeat yourself?" His voice was soft and I had to strain to make out the words.

"I asked if I could help you?" I repeated, watching his look become puzzled.

"Uh... You said you wouldn't mind walking to school together..." He trailed off, not sure how to continue.

"I did?" Emma did? Somehow, I couldn't see Emma willingly agreeing to that. What if he had somehow forced her to agree? Or maybe Emma was just too polite to say no.

"Are you okay? You don't seem like your usual self." His dark gaze roamed over my body, making me uncomfortable.

"Of course I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?" I laughed nervously. School hadn't even started and I felt like I was completely blowing it.

"You just..." He blew out a breath. "I dunno. Maybe I'm just imagining things." Exactly how well did he know Emma? I picked up my pace, hoping to get to school faster.

The rest of the walk was silent, and I could feel his eyes on me as I headed to Emma's first class. Once I was sure he was out of sight, I pulled the notecard from my pocket that listed all of Emma's classes. First up was English with Ms. Shepherd. It didn't take very long to figure out which room I needed.

Hurrying into the room, I sat towards the front. Nothing showed a teacher that you were ready to learn like sitting as close to them as possible. I didn't pay attention to everyone else dropping into their own seats until a guy sat in the seat behind me. His button up shirt was completely unbuttoned, showing off the white shirt he wore under it. He looked a bit scruffy with a bit of facial hair.