EPILOGUE I

Graduation

Graduation. I was a graduate. Well I hadn't crossed the podium yet so it didn't count.

The class of 2017 was sitting in the high school gym. It's formally ugly interior now decorated with blue material and white streamers (two of our school colours - the third the black was used for our robes) I hated graduation robes they made me feel like I was being swallowed and the little tassel thing didn't make that any better.

Our principal (who's name was coincidently Malachi) stood in front the podium which was draped in white. We all were a sea of black and we all similar looks of excitement and nervousness which was okay.

"Today we all celebrate the conclusion of your high school lives and it gives me great pleasure today to present Sienna Silas our class valedictorian!" We all clapped and I watched Sienna rise and take her spot the podium.

If narrowed my eyes enough I could see Sienna's mate Charles and I couldn't help but notice the slight sparkle in his eyes as he watched his mate reach her potential.

As Sienna said her speech riddled with inspirational words and thank yous I looked out to see each of the people I'd come to came for: Harrison sitting a little further down the row, Tia sitting near the back with Evie and Jem in the audience waiting patiently.

Eventually the speech ended and it was time for us to receive our diplomas.

"Abigail Gilbert" I walked up onto the stage, careful not to trip over my graduation robes and shaking hands with my principal and watching the Bennetts taking photos of me awkwardly smiling I walked off the stage.

Walking into the world like it's no big deal.

Well at least that's how it felt.

-----

We had thrown the caps and we had marched out of the school like our lives depended on it.

I waited outside for the others as they streamed out too. I played with my dress in boredom until I felt two arms wrap around my waist. "How does it feel to be a free woman?" I smiled at the sound of Harry's voice and turned my cheek to give him a kiss.

"It feels...quite wonderful" I admitted and for a spilt moment I remembered a sadness but I shook it away.

"Are we still having our dinner tonight?" Harry asked me and I nodded, you've been very secretive about it what are we doing?" I asked him and he shrugged but a playful smile tugged at his lips.

"Guess you'll have to find out tonight"

---

That night I stood in my room, like I had a thousand times before and pulled a dress like I had done before a thousand times before. But today felt different. Today I felt heavy and light and today was one of the first days I had not cried over the loss of my parents.