Chapter 2

The sheets were tangled around her ankles and even though the sun was not yet tinted with day and the little blue cell phone on the nightstand still had a good half hour before it had to ring to wake her up, Drew lay wide awake in her bed. The nightmare came back in flashes of blue and white frost. She was wandering through a forest under a canopy of snow covered branches, following the shadows on sparkling snow. And then she was running from them, the Fae. She knew they could sense her; they would find her. Their evil laughs carried through the forest on an echo…

Their evil white irises and cold grins shot fear through her even though she knew it was a dream. It was after all only a dream, so why didn’t it feel like one? She looked up at the cracked white washed ceiling above her and was somewhat comforted by her great aunt Georgina’s snores in the other room. The house wasn’t very big, it was in the middle of the city, and that was why it was attached to the houses on either side with barely enough room in the front for a garden. But for now it was home. She pulled aside the blanket and sheets and sat down at the creaky wooden desk in her bedroom and types in the word “Fae”. There were links to Tinker Bell, to bars in other countries and she clicked on one about mythology.

A black screen loaded with white text and pictures of what looked like people with wings, mermaids all with skin of all the colours of the rainbow.

The Fae are a species of disputed classification since before the first century AD when their existence was first recorded. There are many different kinds of Fae, but they all share a power with nature and can live for hundreds of years. However they are mortal beings and can die. The most fatal blow is the broken heart. The Fae live in different tribes.

Drew scrolled through the tribes of the Red Caps, the Blue Caps, the Imps, the Mermaids, the sirens the dwarves, the elves and even the dragons, a tribe that was supposed to be long extinct, until she came upon the last one…

The most feared of all tribes, as there is no other hierarchy among the Fae than whoever holds the most power, is the Frost Fae. They are characterized by the feeling of cold that they bring everywhere. The most powerful of all the Fae, their kind were banished to the mortal realm hundreds of years ago, but a prophecy speaks of their regaining their power as the part mortal Frost Fae opens the portal…

Drew didn’t finish reading it and quickly turned off the screen. This was only going to make her more paranoid. There were no such things as Fae, certainly not following her around. Drew decided then and there to attribute anything odd or out of the ordinary to her delusional mind and drinking tea with sugar before bed.

She pulled on her regular black pants and wore a green button down blouse and black flats. She made her bed and grabbed her tan coloured briefcase and made her way down the creaky wooden steps. Georgina did not talk much, she would just sit there in the morning sipping her coffee as Drew went to work, but this time, Georgina cleared her throat.

“Drew”

“Yes aunt Georgina”

“There’s been a kidnapping in town, be careful” she said looking up from her newspaper. Aunt Georgina had lived alone since her husband had died and did not keep in touch with her family at all. Because she was peculiar. Because she was strange. Because every time she came over at Christmas, whenever she did, the conversations would stop. Drew had one day ventured to ask her mother why nobody wanted to sit near her, or talk to her further than formal ‘hello’s and ‘how are you’s.  Drew’s mother continued to prepare the turkey as she talked, “Aunt Georgina’s done something very bad, nobody likes to talk about it, so nobody does”

“What did she do?” asked the twelve year old Drew as she tried to sneak some of the butter tarts from the counter.

Her mother struck her hand and carried the tray of tarts to the bigger dining table,