UNEDITED: Pardon errors

1. No, there is no gas in the pipes. Yes, it's real wood.

          These are common misconceptions among WaterFire guests. There are rumors that the pipes underneath the braziers feed gas to the fire, and that the wood is just there for decoration. This is not true at all.

          The braziers are filled with a bag of lighter fluid, which is surrounded by newspaper and kindling, and then surrounded by firewood and a wick drenched in lighter fluid. The lighter fluid only gets the fire started, then it's up to volunteers on the boats to feed each brazier to keep the fire going. We aren't sure how the rumors of gas and fake wood got started, but it seems kind of silly. Most gasses would affect the fire's color. Using natural wood gets us that warm glow we're so familiar with. 

2. Our volunteers are as diverse as our guests.

          While it's a little risky to have small children volunteer, we do have some teenagers help us with the donation stands, and on shore tasks. We also have some volunteers who have retired from work, and some who are still in college. Some of us have been attending WaterFire before volunteering, and some of us were new to it when we started. Some of us are afraid of water, some are afraid of fire.  Each one of us has a different story, and a different reason for putting our time and effort into tonight's event. Don't be afraid to ask us what made us want to volunteer, especially if you've seen us do it more than once. Let us know what made you attend tonight's event. A little friendly conversation is always nice on a busy night.

3. Your friend holding the torch can't wave to you.

          We see this all the time. Sometimes volunteers carry the torches in the procession, and sometimes businesses and non-profit groups have their own people carry the torches, and now it's your friend's turn. Of course you're excited, your friend/relative is holding FIRE! We LOVE to hear the applauding support from the crowd, and we LOVE it when the torch bearers tell us they had fun being part of the show.

          However, with live fire comes safety regulations. They can nod and smile to you, but they are required to keep BOTH hands on the torch, and to keep the line moving. They cannot bring the fire to the audience for hugs and selfies, they can't take a selfie with a torch in their hand, and they can't stop walking to let you take a picture. 

          Doing any of these can result in an accident, or having the torch taken away from them, and that can cause tension between WaterFire and the sponsor. Go ahead and cheer, applaud, take pictures, but don't chase them down to get their attention, don't run over and walk next to them, and don't be upset if they don't immediately notice you.  They're doing as they're told, and the fire can be pretty intimidating, so some bearers are afraid to lose focus. 

4. Please just move.

          While we're on the topic of safety, the torch procession often requires us to clear paths and block off certain areas to ensure visitor's safety. That cleared area is even bigger when there is a ring of fire involved.

          If a WaterFire volunteer asks you to clear the area, please just do it. We don't want to tell you what to do. We don't like to take you out of your perfect spot, but we have to. The fire marshal has to feel as though everyone is at a safe distance, and give the leading staff member the OK before we can start the lighting.

          Fighting and arguing with us not only delays the lighting, it also ruins the experience for yourself, the volunteer, and the people around you. Don't forget, we are dealing with live fire. It's not harmless confetti, it's not water balloons, it's FIRE. We understand it's inconvenient, but the areas will only be closed off for a short time. Once the torches are doused and we take the ropes down, you can have your spot back.