05. infinity

C H A P T E R F I V E

Lydia doesn't know when it started, but she found herself hanging out with Stiles more and more. Sometimes alone, sometimes with Scott and Allison. Sometimes at college, sometimes at the park, sometimes in a coffee shop. Stiles was like a tidal wave, a string of fast words, blurring movements and big eyes.

Lydia found herself becoming sad when her and Stiles departed. She didn't want to go home, she didn't want to be alone. She wanted Stiles, and she wanted to have that security he provided.

Stiles was everything she wanted, and everything she didn't have.

After 6 months of friendship, Lydia finally realised she could no longer class it as a 'friendship'.

"Wheres Stiles?" She asked one afternoon, coming into the library like they always did to hang out, but found Scott sitting alone with Allison. Stiles' seat was empty.

"He's gone home," Scott replied. "It's a family anniversary, so he needed to be with his dad."

"Is everything okay?" Lydia asked, hastily and quick. She sat down, already pulling out her phone to text Stiles when Scott answered her.

"He's fine, Lyds," he explained. "It's the anniversary of his mother dying. He just needed to be home, be with his dad. He'll be back in a few days."

Scott was talking softly, words laced with kindness and consideration. It took Lydia a moment to realise he was talking like that to calm her, as if he knew she was panicking for Stiles' sake. It worked, but it rallied up something else in Lydia's chest, something hot and knotting.

She texted Stiles later that night - she couldn't stop herself.

Hope you're okay, she sent. The reply was almost instant.

I am now. Hope you didn't miss me too much ;)

The feeling in Lydia's chest blossomed, opening up like a blooming flower. She looked at the empty, vacant space next to her in the bed.

Of course I missed you. Scott was like a kicked puppy without you.

Allison will keep him company. I'll be back on Friday, fancy coffee?

It's not a date. It's not a date. He's just being a friend. That's what friends do.

Sure. My class finishes at 4.

Perfect :) now get some sleep, you're like the devil when you're sleep deprived.

Lydia smiled at that, remembering when they'd all crashed in Scott's dorm on Friday because his roommate was away. They'd spent the evening lazily drinking, Scott and Stiles smoking a joint between them and laughing at everything they could think of. It had been beautiful, and Lydia had fallen asleep somewhere in the early morning with Stiles' face inches from hers.

Beauty sleep, Stilinski. Maybe you should get some.

Did you just call me ugly?!

Goodnight!

LYDIA MARTIN! DON'T YOU DARE GO TO SLEEP! EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

Byeeeeeee Stiles!

Fine. Stiles replied, and then a moment later, her phone buzzed again. Sweet dreams, Lyds x

Suddenly, the space next to her didn't feel so empty.

*

chapter title: Infinity by The xx

authors note: i've updated a day early because my exam season starts tomorrow so i don't know how often i'm going to be online. updates may be slightly off schedule!

love you all :)

xx