1920

The snow was coming down heavily now. The skyscrapers were topped with white, and the  streets, thick with snow, were marked with footprints and tyre skids. As Erin entered the lobby of her cousins apartment building, she let out a shuddering breath of relief as she was hit with a blast of warm air. 

Her braids were sodden, and looked half frozen from the crystals of ice attached to them. The Ilvermorny blue cotton hat on her head was soaked too, as well as her dark, long, red coat and black cotton scarf. Peeling them off, she greeted the receptionist as she headed towards the stairs, dragging her luggage behind her. 

When she reached the door, and heard soft jazz music muffled by the wood, she realised how fast her heart was beating, and the pit growing in her stomach. 

What if he didn't accept it? What if he shouted at her? What if he threw her out on the streets? Even though she was fairly sure he wouldn't do any of those things, it didn't stop her from worrying.

Inhaling deeply, she knocked twice on the wooden door. Within seconds, it was open, and Raymond snatched her up in a hug, lifting her off the ground. Erin squeaked as she dropped her suitcases and he laughed into her shoulder. Starting to laugh too, she wound her arms round his neck.

"Oh, Merlin, never go away again," he mumbled, and kissed her cheek, grinning widely. Isolt squawked from her cage on the shelf.

"I missed you too, Ray. And you too, Isolt, don't fret," she giggled, and he set her back down, ruffling her hair, causing her skinny braids to dance around. 

Then he realised that she had left wet patches on his clothes, and gave a little chuckle. He took his wand from where it stuck out of his pocket, gave a complicated little wave, and hot air shot out of it, drying her in seconds.

"Thanks." She shrugged off the coat, scarf and hat, hanging them up on the rack as Raymond dried himself. 

It was only when he crouched down to pick up her suitcases that she noticed the man sat on the couch.

His dark brown hair had a high undercut, and he wore a smart suit jacket over a pinstriped shirt with a white collar. His eyes were a beautiful pale green, and the lighting in the room set his cheekbones off a treat. When their eyes met, he smiled, and crinkles appeared at the corners of his eyes. There was no denying how handsome he was, and Erin found herself unable to look at him straight.

Raymond straightened up, closing the door, and suddenly looked over his shoulder. "Oh - yes - Erin, this is my friend Veris Gates. Veris, Erin," he introduced, and Veris stood up quickly, making his way towards her, holding out his hand.

"Hey. Ray never stops talking about you," He said. He was British, and his voice was polite and articulate. A giddy feeling rose in her chest as he took her hand, shaking it warmly, and she suppressed a wide grin.

Raymond cleared his throat, looking at his friend. "He's an exchange student at the Aurology college, we had the same class."

Veris smiled crookedly. "Yeah, I'll admit, your cousin's a bloody good Aurologist." He looked at Raymond, a warm look in his eyes. Erin smiled politely, but as easy as he was on the eyes, she really needed to speak to Ray. Alone. She didn't want a stranger knowing about her... situation.

"Ray, could you help me with these?" She asked tactfully, gesturing to her cases. Instantly Raymond swooped to help her. He easily scooped up one of her cases whilst she took the second, and he followed her into her room. Veris headed for the kitchen, checking on whatever  Ray had cooking, discreetly leaving the pair to talk.