four

Sneaking out was never my thing. I tried to do it once with my friends back home but I chickened out. The thought of getting caught made my stomach feel uneasy. And I was also a bad liar, so I knew that if someone found out I wouldn't be able to come up with a good lie. Also, the thought of having someone catch us and we get in trouble after only being here for roughly two weeks made my stomach churn.

As Elizabeth and I weaved through the cabins in an attempt to reach the cafeteria, my stomach was doing somersaults.

"Are you sure we won't get caught?" I asked Elizabeth for the fourth time since we left our cabin. It was 12:30 at night and I really didn't want to be caught and scolded this late.

"Yes," she sighed, clearly annoyed with me asking over and over again. "I told you I've done this before, Caroline."

"Why didn't you just come before the cafeteria closed?" I asked in an agitated tone. I wasn't agitated with Elizabeth, I was agitated with myself because I had actually agreed to tag long.

"Because I was looking for a certain someone but they were nowhere to be found." She glared at me, obviously referring to how I had disappeared earlier in the day.

Luke and I had went to his special place again. After he showed it to me a couple days before, he kept telling me he would take me back. I hadn't expected him to take me back so soon though.

We did the same thing everytime, sat in silence while he spaced out. I really didn't understand why he invited me along since he didn't really talk to me while we were there.

"Where were you anyways? This is like the second time you've been missing." Elizabeth questioned as we walked down the dirt path to the cafeteria.

"I was at the lake." I lied quickly. I didn't want Elizabeth to know that I was with Luke. I knew how much she liked him and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. At first I thought she wasn't buying it when she shook her head and sighed.

"You aren't supposed to go down there without your group." She scolded, pushing her ginger hair out of her face.

I let out a huge breath I had been holding, relieved that she had believed my lie. "Yeah, well you also aren't supposed to sneak out of your cabin and go to the cafeteria at half past midnight."

"Touché." Elizabeth smiled.

We caught sight of the cafeteria and made our way to it. You would think that since the place closes at 10 they would lock the door, but they didn't. We walked into the building, without cutting the light on so we wouldn't be caught. The moonlight shone enough to at least let us get through the building.

Elizabeth led us to the kitchen of the building and cut that light on since it was towards the back of the building which faced the woods, therefore no one could see the light.

"Luke?" Elizabeth and I both said at the same time. He was leaning against the sink with a plate in his hand, which contained a slice of chocolate cake.

"What are you guys doing here?" He seemed more irritated than surprised. He sat the the plate down and eyed us. "Did you want some food or something?"

"That's obviously why we're here, Lucas." Elizabeth laughed as she walked past Luke and slapped his chest. He furrowed his eyebrows at her and looked over at me. I shrugged and walked over to him as I looked at Elizabeth.

We watched Elizabeth as she walked over to a box and pulled out a couple bags of chips. She tossed one to me and I opened it, popping a Dorito in my mouth.

"Do you want to go back tomorrow?" Luke bent down and whispered in my ear as Elizabeth rummaged through the refrigerator on the other side of the room.