How do flying fish fly?

Well, over an extremely long period of time animals evolved, turning from tiny microscopic organisms in the water, in to small fish and predators. So one day one of the small fish asked another one "Hey, how are we supposed to get away from all over these predators, there are just too many of them.".

They pondered about the thought and about a few different ideas. They tried building homes with walls, armour, swords and cannons like the humans did, but with the lack of a-posable thumbs and in fact any fingers at all, they were completely unable to do it because of the mental and physical handicap evolution had given to them.

But one day, an egg was laid and it cultivated for months and months, it took so unusually long. As they thought evolution had looked down on them once again, they saw a crack, then another crack, then another and another until it finally hatched and a beautiful blue shimmering fish with wings came out, evolution had finally heard their call. It flew up into the air, they thought "Finally, the next generation of fish will be safe!" as a seagull chomped down on the flying fish, blood and gore, shimmering scales and a pair of wings all fell back into the water.