Chapter Twenty Six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

March 12, 2015

Zacchya felt like death warmed over. She had some kind of bacterial infection and was put on antibiotics.  Then her period started, unfortunately with a vengeance.  She had so much cramping and clots.  She felt like there were miniature ninjas insider her uterus, slicing up everything they could see with their tiny samurai swords. Which put a funny picture in her head, but she felt too miserable to laugh.  She laid on her bed, cuddled in the blankets, wishing to feel better or at least a distraction.

The one good thing she did have going for her was with the infection, she couldn't undergo 33X testing.  It was the only silver lining she had, and she held onto tightly.

Ben came into her cell with her supper tray.  Once the cell door was shut and locked behind him, he spoke.

"I don't have much time because they aren't monitoring inside your cell yet. They will when they bring in the TV.  Eat this food, Zacchya, especially the turkey sandwich. I've got to go," Ben looked deep into her eyes, trying to send her some sort of message.  She had no idea what he was meaning by the look, feeling groggy and gross from the period. He was gone as quick as he came in, taking her uneaten lunch tray with him.

Zacchya forced herself up, curious by Ben's cryptic message. She opened the tray and grabbed the turkey sandwich.  Maybe she'd feel better if she ate.  As she forced herself to take a bite, she noticed a piece of paper between the bread instead of meat. Ben had slipped her a note.

"Weird..." Zacchya said aloud. She unfolded it, half hiding it under her blanket.

It read:

Zacchya it's almost time for your testing.  They already have Jacob.  He's under 33X now.  Soon it will be your turn.  I suggest you start a journal.  Ask for paper.  Keep track of your thoughts.  Watch for patterns! Magnus is very angry with you. Please be careful. I'm trying to look out for both of you. They are watching Jacob too close, I can't get to him. There's something important you must know. You're not sick with an infection. I'm so sorry, but you were pregnant. The pills are miscarrying your baby.

Zacchya's heart seemed to stop. There was no way this could be true, could it?  The cramps and heavy clotting came to her mind. She'd had heavy periods before, but this one was much worse. They were forcing a miscarriage. She felt sick to her stomach, to her soul. What kind of monsters would force that on someone?

Her moment with Jacob on the railroad tracks, where they made love for the first time had conceived a child. That beautiful moment of love and forgiveness had blossomed into life.  Now, that life was gone.  Her heart broke so deeply for the child she could never have, for the miracle that was being forced out of her body.

She lay crying for hours before she finished reading the note. It took too much strength to even sit up, but eventually she managed.

I'm so sorry, Zacchya. I promised Larry I wouldn't hurt you again and I failed. I won't fail again.  I'm working on a plan to get you both out of here. It won't be easy or quick. Keep your eyes open! Watch Jacob, he's already changing. Tell him NOT TO DRINK THE WATER! Especially from the fountain in his room. They'll taint yours soon. Destroy this. -- Ben.

Through her grief, she tried to grasp onto the hope that she might have a change to get out of here alive. There might be hope after all.  However, all she could think about was the baby and Jacob.  What were they telling him? Why hadn't she noticed any changes yet? They talked almost every night.  She had promised to keep himself "himself" and she was failing.  Had she gotten so wrapped up in her own pain to not see the man she loved needed her?

She collapsed back on her mattress, pulling the blankets over her head.  Exhaustion eventually overtook her and she slept.

Zacchya wasn't sure if it had been one hour or ten, but she was awoken by the sound of a man's voice, coming from Jacob's cell.  She forced herself to stand, her against the shared vent. She closed her eyes, letting her ears take over her senses.

"You and I are like family, Jacob," Larry said.

"Of course, we're family," Jacob replied flatly.

"I'm your godfather.  I helped raise you."

"You're my godfather. You helped raise me."

"You're like a son to me, Jacob. I love you," Larry's voice was sweet and sincere.

"And you're like a father to me, Larry. I love you."

Zacchya almost fell over. How could Jacob say these things? The 33X had changed him ...to what, to love Larry? She'd noticed how flat and unemotional Jake's voice sounded. It made her skin crawl.

"You would do anything to make me proud, Jacob. Even killing people, wouldn't you?" Larry asked.

"Of course, I want to make you proud."

"You will continue your training and become a soldier, Jacob."

"Yes."

"The USA is important to you, more important than anything else."

"Um ... Yes."

"It is, Jacob! There's nothing more important than the USA. The freedom of the American people is important! It's worth dying for."

"Yes, yes."

"You will kill all enemies, no matter."

"Yes, no matter."

"Even if you love them, an enemy to the USA must be killed."

"Yes, all enemies."

"Zacchya will be an enemy, Jacob. Will you kill her when the time comes?" Larry asked.

"Zacc....Zacchya?" Jacob stuttered.

"Yes, soon. She will be an enemy. She's plotting against us."

"She is?"

"Yes, Zacchya is full of hate for America and the army. She will show it one day. Soon, I think," Larry said.

"No. No... not Zacchya," Jacob stammered.

"Yes, she's evil. And you will have to kill her."

"I ... I ..."

"She must die, Jacob. I will tell you when." Larry stated.

"I ... I ... " Jacob stammered.

Zacchya stepped back from the vent, overwhelmed.  They planned to have her killed by the only man she loved.  Larry's original plan for Jacob to exact his "revenge" against her would come to completion.  They still wanted her dead by Jacob's hand.  First a forced abortion and then this. It was too much. She felt sick. She forced herself back to the vent.

"Drink the water, Jacob.  Forget that you've seen me.  Lock these thoughts in your mind. We will talk tomorrow.  Get some sleep."

"Goodnight," Jacob replied. "I love you, Larry."

"I love you too, Jacob," Larry replied sweetly.