━━ 𝘴𝘯𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘯 𝘢 𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘦𝘭𝘥

𝐁𝐎𝐊 𝐈, 𝐊𝐀𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐋 𝐕

snakes on a shield

"WHAT ARE YOU READING?"

Graveyard silence had been disturbed by Merlin's inquiry, crystalline eyes watching as the titian-haired traipsed around to wherever her feet led her. When she didn't spare him so much as a fleeting glance, he thought his words to have fallen on deaf ears, assuming her far too lost in the pages to even pay him notice.

As it turned out, his question did not go unheard. "Just a collection of stories from ancient Camelot."

Having come to terms with his destiny being now and forevermore intertwined with the future of Camelot and the unification of Albion, Merlin couldn't deny that the histories and mysteries of the realm intrigued him. He knew nothing of Camelot's past, little of its present and the future was yet to be molded. "What kind of stories?"

"Kings and queens of old, every war in our recorded history, prophecies and such."

"There are prophecies?"

"Oh, yes." Meeting his stare for the first time, her excited eyes gleamed in the pale sunlight. "They're all quite interesting, but they've also been proven to be complete rubbish over the years. According to an ancient scholar, Camelot should have perished in a hell-raised firestorm a century ago. Obviously we're all still here."

"World's end..." Merlin chortled. "There's always one of those. Any others of interest?"

"Well, there are two that date back more than a thousand years and still manage to strike fear into every superstitious heart to this day."

Merlin didn't quite like the sound of that, but his curiosity got the best of him. "Really? What are they?"

"The first prophecy foresees a daughter of Camelot lost to the sacred fire and used as a weapon of destruction upon the land, and the second speaks of a ruler with a frozen heart who curses the land with an eternal winter," she informed with a faint smile. "Sounds fun, doesn't it?"