Chapter 16

Get ready for an extra long chapter!

Maxon's POV

I waited for America outside her room. It was about 10 minutes before she came out looking radiant. Her hair and dress were simply and they looked great on her.

She saw my smile and she tilted her head and laughed.

"What?" She asked.

"How is it possible for one human being to look so perfect?"

"Oh please."

"What?"

"I am not pretty."

"No. Your gorgeous. Why do you say your not pretty when you are the most beautiful thing that as ever walked the planet?" It makes me mad when she says she's not pretty. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes on.

"Look at me. I'm nothing compared to everyone else that was in the Selection. Your dad was right."

"What are talking about?" Her face turned white as she looked at the ground. "Did he say something to you recently?" Now I was angry.

"Not recently, it was after you let me stay. I was walking back to my room when he stopped me." She gulped. "He basically said what I already know. That I'm ugly and my temper is awful. That I will never be poise enough to be a princess." I was fuming. Why would he say that to her. Why didn't she tell me?

"Why did you never tell me?"

"He told me not to." I sighed frustrated. I hold out my arm weakly. She takes it sadly and we start walking. I glance over at America, she looks sad.

"I'm not mad at you, America I just wish you told me."

"It's not like I didn't want to. It's just..." Her voice trailed off.

"I know." I turn to face her and give her a hug. "Ready?" I asked.

"Ready."

America's POV

We walked into the dining hall and everyone looked at me. I ducked my head, I hate having all this attention. Maxon tightens his grip and I look up at him. He gives me a reassuring smile and I smile back. When we get to our seats Amberly takes my hand.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked

"Yes, thank you." We both smile at each other. My mom and May asked how I was feeling. I told them I was fine. Everyone is acting like I just woke up from a coma, when all I had is the flu. All though dinner Maxon glared at his father. King Clarkson never noticed, but Maxon didn't let that stop him. I grabbed his hand from under the table and squeezed it. He looked at me and smiled.

"Stop staring at your father."

"I was? I never realized."

"Maxon."

"He does not have the right to say things like that to you."

"He's the King he can say anything he wants to me." He sighed and looked at our hands.

"How are you feeling." I sighed annoyed because he knew people were asking me that all night. He chuckled at my sigh.