Uninvited Guests

• Dedicated to Harris Burdick

Read the description. Title, quote from the book, and picture are NOT owned by me. The writing is, though. Copyright All Rights Reserved 2012 ® Enjoy! :D

The sun was setting over the horizon, leaving a pink, yellow, and orange backdrop. Birds soared through the air, a cool breeze shook the trees. I vacantly gaze out the window, looking back on my day. I snap myself back to reality and eat the last bite of bread and last spoon of soup still left in front of me. I arise from my seat and walk over to the sink and dispose my plate, bowl, spoon and cup. I stand there a moment, wondering if I should wash the dishes now, or later. "Hmm..." I wonder aloud. "Eh, I'll do it later." I decide, walking over to the living room.

After reading for half an hour, taking a long, relaxing bath, getting changed into my pajamas and brushing my teeth, I go to the kitchen and throw some hot chocolate mix into a cup of cold water and put it into the microwave to warm up. BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! I hear the microwave go. I gingerly take out the burning hot cup of hot chocolate and walk over to the couch. I wrap myself in a brown, fuzzy blanket and hold the cup tightly in my hands to keep me warm. I reach over and grab the remote off the armrest to my right. I turn the TV on to see which movies or half-hour sitcoms were playing. I flip through channels, not satisfied with what was on. As I take a sip from my hot chocolate, I see something in my peripheral vision. A shadow pass by the window? No. That's preposterous! I think to myself.

I ignore my non-sense and continue to flip through the channels when something else happens. My heart was pounding. I was sure I had seen the doorknob turn. I gently set down my hot chocolate on the coffee table and tip-toe my way over to the front door. I slowly turn the doorknob and to my astonishment, the door was already open. I run over to the kitchen to grab the phone. About to call 911, the most unexplainable happens.

Within the blink of an eye, the skates on the wall came crashing to the ground, the paint jars on the shelf went flying, opening up one by one, splattering the walls. Carpentry and cabinetry things in a cardboard box on the floor tumbled to the ground, except  for the carpet. It went flying around like a magic carpet, the string lights from above the door following closely behind. Panicked, I sprint to the staircase, taking two steps at a time as I ascend up it. I hear the whine of my tiny, wooden door and stop at the top of the staircase, slowly turning around, hands shaking and knees ready to buckle at any given moment.

There were two ghostly white figures standing in the doorway. My jaw dropped in shock. They were ghosts. But who were they? And why are they here? What is their mission? Are they even on a mission? And how did they even get here?

I was left speechless, the questions caught at the back of my throat when the ghostly figures started to talk. "Son? It's...it's you!" A familiar, deep male voice exclaimed into the silent house. The words echoed off the walls as I realized who the voice belonged to. It was my dad.

"Dad?" I reply back.

"And me too, honey." a familiar, soft and gentle female voice cooes back.

"Mom. Dad." I smile. "How are you even here right now? What are you doing here?"

"It's a long story, but in a nutshell, we stepped into a portal from the afterlife that brings us here, to the earth plane and we're here because we thought we'd join you as it's your time to go. You were there with us when we left you, so we though we'd pay back the deed." Mom kindly smiles as she and Dad gracefully float up the stairs and stand in front of me. I was in such a state of awe that I didn't realize that what they were saying was that it was my time to die, to go where they have been for all these years. I think they could tell how frightened I was of the thought just by my facial expression. Mom takes my face in her hands  and whispers "We know it's a scary thing, but it will be alright. Just hold our hand and we'll show you the way."

Right as she said that, a bright veil of white light opened up in front of us. I used my arm to shield my eyes from the brightness. Mom and Dad looked at each other and said in unison "Are you ready?" They gazed at me expectantly, waiting for me to give them my answer. As much as the thought of dying and going to the afterlife through that so-called veil of light you see on TV shows and in movies made my stomach do somersaults, I was going with my caring parents. They wouldn't let anything happen to me. I grabbed Mom's left hand and Dad's right hand, standing in between them and said "I'm ready."

We walked through the veil of light and it then disappeared, leaving only my empty house with my belongings scattered everywhere.