Chapter 5

Helga screamed and Godric jumped forward while Salazar didn't look impressed and crossed his arms and Rowena just gaped. "My name is Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Porpington. I am the ghost of this wonderful castle. You may be wondering-" he was cut off by Godric.
"In what bloody hells name are you-" again cut off, but this time by Rowena.
"How are you haunting this castle? Are you-" once again cut off now by Helga.
"How old are you?" Sir Nicholas chortled.
"I did die here! I'm nearly headless!" He shouted. "Whoops! Don't want to stir the others".
"OTHERS?" Said Godric.
"Oh yes! Fat Friar, Peeves....." he trailed off. He was floating, translucent and pale and grey, and dresses in 1400s clothes. His mustache was curled and he had wavy hair.
"How did you know this place was called Hogwarts?" Rowena asked, stepping forward. "That idea was made up by us not too long ago".
"Oh, uh-"
"how big is this place?" Helga asked.
"Quite big, not many people come here."
"I can see why...". Rowena stepped in again. "Can't the muggles see it?"
"Nope. Anti-Muggle charm. They can't see the castle. Just a fallen apart house that says "no entry" and they walk away!" Sir Nicholas chortled.
"How was this place built?" Salazar asked, unfolding his arms.
"Built a long time ago!" He said cheerfully.
"We want to use this place" Godric said.
"Use it?" He said, his smile faded. "For what?"
"A school".
"A school?!" His smile returned. "Finally, a good school for witches and wizards! Tell me, when do we start?" The four looked at each other and then up at Sir Nick.

***

It seemed as if it all happened too fast. The four hadn't met the other ghosts even though they walked through every corner of the castle. The three other than Rowena, weren't sure how she found it but they weren't worried about it. They gathered in the big hall, sitting on the stone floor. "So." Rowena said, pulling out parchment and quill. "What do we teach?" They looked at each other.
"The basics first" said Helga.
"Dark Arts" Salazar said.
"Why not defense against the Dark Arts" proposed Godric. Everyone seemed to approve instead of Salazar. "Potions" "Charms" "History of Magic?" "Transfiguration" "Divination". It was coming together. They could make a school for witches and wizards. Time seemed to fly, before they knew it, it had been 3 months and everything was working. They had named that big hall the Great Hall and the Houses idea was good, except, how would it work? They needed the ghost help on this one.
"Sir Nick!" Helga called. She went down the hall, calling for Sir Nick. The drafty halls make her hair and cloak swish.
"Are you looking for Sir Nick?" A pleasant voice called, and Helga turned around to see a rather large man in a robe. He was bald and plump and short, smiling though. He had just emerged from a wall of barrels. Helga was shocked, interested and scared at the same time. "Uh-"
"im the Fat Friar!" He said, beaming.
"I'm-I'm Helga Hufflepuff. Did you just c-come out of a barrel wall?" She asked, stepping closer.
"Why I did indeed! It's a secret room, come here I'll show you!" He floated toward the wall covered in brown barrels. "Well, if you are making a school, you should have a password! Go ahead, make a rhythm! This will stick throughout time if your school works..." he nodded and floated to the side. She tapped the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, and called it the Rhythm of Helga Hufflepuff. The lid swung open from a barrel and she crawled in. Inside was a round room and comfy. The small windows up top were  letting in sunlight and the plants hung from the ceiling. It was old and dusty and it was time for a clean up. She thanked the Friar and left, searching for Sir Nick. As she walked back she found all of them talking intently.
"Did you find a secret room?" Godric asked. "Yeah!" She said.
"Me too. And the rest of us!" He said.
"Couldn't find Nick?" Salazar asked.
"No, were going to have to figure out the Houses ourselves". Once again, they sat in the Great Hall on the stone floor, discussing Houses. Salazar talked for a bit. "Helga had houses names. After us. Each representing traits for the students". Rowena raised an eyebrow. "Traits?" She asked. "Yeah".
"The houses would be Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Hufflepuff. Let's think about it. Rowena, you're smart. You're about wit, learning and wisdom. Ravenclaw house students would be intelligent. Helga, you are kind and loyal. Hufflepuff house students would be kind to other houses, willing to help and willing to do the right thing. Salazar you-" Godric stopped at Salazar. He wasn't sure. "Cunning. Ambitious. Resourceful!" He exclaimed.
"I want my students to be Pure Bloods only". Salazar said dryly. There was a silence and he was being ignored.
"So what about a crest?" Helga asked.
"A symbol for each House".
"You're right". Rowena said, looking around. "Badger for Hufflepuff". Helga said. It fit well. "Eagle for Ravenaw?" Rowena questioned. Everyone nodded. "Serpent for Slytherin". Salazar said. It was also a good fit. "Lion for Gryffindor! They're bold and tough and-" "that's enough" Laughed Rowena.

***
Salazar roamed the corridors at night, thinking about how his house should only be pure bloods. He went back to his secret room he found, which they then all called the House Common Rooms. Slytherins required a password that changes every fortnight. The room is round and all stone with two fireplaces and black arm chairs and couches. The green paned windows from the lake gave it an eerie glow. He sat down and slid his bag on the floor and pulled out a locket. A greenish gem locket he found in his fathers room. Salazar decided to hang it above the fireplace. He stood back and looked at it, admiring it.
In the Hufflepuff common room, Helga put her cherished cup on top of her fireplace. A golden chalice, was shining brightly above the mantle. In the Ravenclaw common room, Rowena had looked up to the star-enchanted ceiling and had fallen fast asleep.