c h a p t e r o n e : S e l c o u t h

Selcouth (adj.)
unfamiliar, rare, strange, and yet marvelous
_____________________________________________________________________________

Rose' POV

"Will you have the papers ready by Tuesday?" Jane hands me a black USB and smiled, waiting for my answer, "I don't have any plans, maybe I can-", "Yeah, figured." she then placed the tiny object on the pile of folders that I also have to finish for the next week or so.

Fucking leave already.

I fixed the bridge of my glasses and with my index finger, I then fixed the frames, "Anyways." Jane brushed her black pencil skirt with her hands and chuckled, "Anything funny, Jane?" I didn't want to waste any more time so I kept my full attention on my laptop. she gives me this face, it gave me this message as if she felt bad for me, she pitied me, "You're 20, Ro. You need to have plans for the weekend; look at my table compared to yours and we get the exact same pay." I wasn't going to deny that my table is a lot messier than hers but I always thought that was something I could be lofty about. "You finished college too soon. If I had the chance to prolong my college days, I wouldn't be here right now. Why are you in such a rush?" I took a deep sigh and closed my eyes before I replied, "Thanks, Jane." I stood up and excused myself to the office' snack room.

"I wouldn't be here right now!" I say, mocking Jane. I placed a dollar inside the vending machine and managed to get myself a box of Sour Patch. As I opened the pack of delicacies, I made my way to the sink and got my white mug to wash so I can get myself some coffee; one of the very many reasons I love working here at Brook's is because of their coffee, it's not the best but it's my lack of exposure that gave me lesser chances of complaining. "You need to have plans for the weekend!" Still cleaning my mug, I couldn't stop thinking about the things Jane had to say; she really had no right to make me feel like how she made me feel earlier and I think she was just being crude. "Hey, Ro; I hope you know I can hear you." I jumped out of fear and my eyes widened. I then let out a little laugh before I slowly turned around, "Oh, Jane!" I exclaimed, my eyebrows rose and I felt myself panting.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel that way..." she sounded embarrassed at the same time, she felt mistreated and I felt bad but not so bad, she made fun of me too and I don't think I should completely feel sorry for what's happening right now. "It's fine-" I pulled my frizzy hair back from my eyes and walked towards the coffee maker, "It's true, I don't have a life-" I poured myself some hot brewed coffee and looked back at Jane, "I didn't say that-" I was done with her trying to make herself sound like she's the good one here, "Oh, really? cause it sounds exactly like that. You make me sound like my whole world revolves around this job and..." I didn't know what to say from there; is it becaue I really have no other  plans to look forward to but work? I paused for a while, silence filled the room. "It's true?" Jane asks back, this time she tried to sound considerate and her tone was lower than usual, "Yeah..." I say in defeat and slammed the mug on the center table, "Fuck!" I moved away from the table and coffee spilled on my black Uniqlo skinny jeans, "It'll dry." Jane approached me and got some napkin to hand, "It's not just any brand. I can't have this stained." the expression on my face seemed rather too worried than how an average person might look like when they spill coffee on their favorite jeans. "It's Uniqlo..." Jane looked worried for me too and watch me as I panic over some stain, "I have tons of jeans from Uniqlo I don't use. You can have some of mine, just please stop and calm down..." I was annoyed with the tone she was giving me but I looked at the girl and she genuinely felt bad for me; here I am with a bunch of napkins on my hands and I was a mess, messier than how I looked earlier without the coffee stain and worries. "I'm sorry..." I fixed myself, threw all the napkins down the bin and fixed my bun, "Just don't mind me. I know where I stand and let it be; I am aware I have nothing but work and home so it would be much appreciated if you respected what I only have and stop putting me down." I got the rug beside the office' sink and started cleaning the center table, "Hey."

WHAT DO YOU WANT?

"I'll be out with my friends tonight and I was wondering if maybe you wanted to see how it might look like out there." Jane says, "I really don't want you to pity me-" she keeps cutting me off, "I'm not doing this because I pity you because I don't, I actually want you to see what's in a normal party.... Unless you really didn't want to then it's okay but here." she hands me a piece of paper about the size of my palm, "We will be here until 1, tonight then we'll head to a friend's place after so I'll be waiting for you, Ro but it's really up to you." I looked at the address on the paper, squinting my eyes. "I'll think about it.", "Yeah? That's good." she gives me a reassuring look and left me.

*

"Ro!" I heard Jane from the other side of the bar and she squealed, something I didn't expect from her. "I am so happy you can make it!" she grabs my wrist and brought me to a table with three of her other friends, "Don't you just love how we all look hot?" one of them states, she had long, brown hair and beautiful blue eyes that can probably catch a man's attention once they stare into them, "I love your eyes." I complimented the lady and she smiled back, "I'm Hazel. Have some Coke." I took a sip from the can and something was fishy about the taste.

Is this supposed to be a joke?

she took out her hand for me to shake and she asked if I wanted a shot, "Sure." was all I could say before following Hazel down the bar full of men who are trying to look for other women around the corner. "Is it your first time here?" the room was filled with smoke, music, and voices of too many people and it made feel a little nauseous but I kept my figure and my stance to avoid anything embarrassing. "Two orders of the B-52, please!" Hazel shouts at the bartenders who were too focused on the other two ladies who asked for free cocktails, "We're paying!" Hazel shouts again, "It's fine, we don't have to get the drinks now." I reassure her that everything's going to be okay, drinks or no drinks. "We'll definitely get some later and it's on me." We searched for our table and the place was just getting more crowded, "Great, it's 12:45; we'll leave for Cameron's soon. Hold my waist and follow me, okay?" I nod.

I kept feeling like I was about to faint anytime now and when I was just about to collapse to the ground, I felt this selcouth presence around me.

Fuck, not today.

"Now, baby girl. Hold on tight, you're in for a joy ride." His voice was raspy and deep, he sounded like he was joking around but I felt myself getting lifted off the ground and my stomach landing on someone else's shoulder, "Please, stop!" I punched the man's back but all I could see was this ray of colours that just kept getting more vibrant every time the beat of the music got louder and stronger. "Shhh... Baby girl, you need to keep quiet; I don't want to hurt you." I could feel myself drifting off and falling into a deep sleep. "Please..." I begged just one more time and my whole system gave up on me.

I am going to die today.

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream."

________________________________________________________________________

I hope you guys like the first chapter. It's quite dragging for now but I really want to show the life of Ro and how it has a big impact to the story. I'll update as soon as I can. :))

Vote, comment and Share. Thank you very much :D