Prologue

New York City. Winter, 1895.

.

Jack Kelly hated Manhattan. Simple as that.

He especially hated Manhattan in the Winter time.

Sure, the white coat of snow falling gently over the streets was pretty sometimes, but not when one had to stand on the streets all day in nothing but pants and a long shirt to protect them from the cold and shout their voice raw. Which is exactly what Jack was doing.

He sold his last paper to an old woman walking by, and took off down the alleyways, trying to get back to the Lodging House as fast as possible. He walked through an alleyway a block or two from the House, but stopped when something caught his eye.

There was a foot, covered by an old and tattered shoe, sticking out from behind a pile of bags of trash. Jack moved slowly towards the foot, fists clenched together just in case. When Jack turned the corner of the pile, he took a sharp intake of breath, surprised when he found a boy laying on the ground.

The boy looked on the verge of death. Sickly pale and skinny, eyes closed and mouth open slightly. His blond hair was uncovered, wet and sticking to his head. His arms were wrapped tightly around himself, pulling his vest closer to him in sleep. There was a wooden crutch that looked just as beat up as the boy himself underneath his arm. His other leg was pulled close to him, and Jack finally noticed how the foot on the extended leg was twisted at a painful angle.

Jack bent down, tapping the boy on the shoulder. Instantly, the boy jumped awake, frantic eyes searching around until they landed on Jack, in which the boy scurried to sit up against the brick wall behind him. Jack put his hands out, giving the boy a kind smile."Hey, m'not gonna hurt ya."

The blond slowly relaxed, but was still cautious as Jack slowly helped him to his feet."My name's Jack, you?"

The boy looked up at Jack, dark green eyes wavering as he began to walk with Jack."No name."

Jack held back a wince after hearing the boy's voice. It was scratchy, like someone was scraping knives against his throat. The boy looked up at Jack's eyes, and sheepishly put his head back down."Charlie Morris."

"Charlie Morris, youse got a nickname?" Jack asked Charlie.

"Nah." Charlie replied, stepping to the side to dodge a puddle on the ground.

Jack just hummed and nodded, turning back around when he realized Charlie was no longer following him."What?"

"Where is you goin'?" The shorter boy asked, raising a suspicious eyebrow.

"There's this place I sleep, Lodging House. C'mon, it's warmer in there. Youse get a bed and food, too."

Charlie seemed to melt under the mention of a bed and food, and before Jack knew it, the blond was walking besides him. Jack led them to the Lodging House, Charlie relaxing once they were out of the bitter wind. Jack tossed some money down onto the counter, paying for Charlie's bed. Kloppman, who was reading a book behind the counter, simply waved Jack and the new face hello absentmindedly.

"Ay, Jack! Who's your friend?" Racetrack asked, sauntering up to the two as they stepped through the door.

"Charlie."Jack responded, nudging Charlie on the shoulder.

Romeo appeared out of a doorway, clearly having been listening in."Charlie? That ain't gonna work. Too fancy."

Race sighed, putting his signature thinking face on."What about cr-"

"If you say crip, I will break every finger you got until they's touchin' the back of your hands." Charlie growled, surprising Race, who put his hands up in surrender.

"Crutchie." Romeo replied."Because of the crutch."

Jack shoved Romeo's head."Nah-"

"I like it." Charlie replied, a small smile dancing on his features.

Romeo grinned, sticking his tongue out at Jack."Crutchie it is."

Race nodded."So, Crutchie, want some food?"

Charlie, or Crutchie, nodded, and eagerly followed Race back to the kitchen. Jack followed them, stopping and turning to go to his bunk. Specs was laying on the bed next to Jack's, and Jack slapped his leg.

"Get up, Specs." Jack said, shaking the boy.

Specs groaned."Why?"

"'Cause youse movin' to the bunk on top of mine." Jack replied, grabbing Specs' bag and tossing it above.

Specs just groaned again, but jumped up anyways, rolling over and curling up once again. Jack moved back into the entrance to the washroom and kitchen, finding Crutchie talking with Race while eating a bowl of leftover food from dinner. Jack moved to the washroom, finding the bandages and rags from one of the cabinets and walking back out to Crutchie. Jack took off his vest, setting it down on the metal table.

"Up on the counter." Jack commanded, patting the counter where he had laid his vest down.

Crutchie obeyed, setting his bowl down for a moment and hopping up before going back to eating. Race shot Jack a worried look before continuing his conversation with the new boy. Jack tugged on Crutchie's buttoned shirt, and Crutchie unbuttoned it and took it off.

His arms were covered with bruises and dried up cuts, and there was barely any muscle on his arms, causing Jack to give the boy a look of pity. His chest was no better, and Jack could count each individual rib prodding out. Crutchie didn't notice, however, and continued eating.

Jack cleaned off Crutchie's wounds, bandaging the nasty ones up before letting the shorter boy jump down. Jack placed the materials back, and reappeared to find Crutchie standing in the kitchen, a confused look on his face that Jack couldn't help but admit was adorable.

"C'mon, i'll show you where to sleep." Jack placed a hand on Crutchie's back, pushing open the kitchen door.

Most boys were already in their cots fast asleep, but the ones who were still awake looked up to watch Jack lead the new boy through the Lodge. Jack stopped by their beds."Here you go, Crutchie."

Crutchie grinned, tossing his crutch down to the floor before hopping onto the bed, crawling under the blanket and sighing blissfully into the pillow.

"I know it ain't much, but it's better than the streets." Jack admitted, laying down himself.

Crutchie shook his head."Its great. Thank you, Jack."

Jack smile."You're welcome. G'night, Crutchie."

Jack looked at Crutchie, smiling at the boy who had pulled the blanket up over his nose. Crutchie's eyes squinted, showing off his invisible smile."Goodnight, Jack."

Jack rolled over, and Crutchie stared at the back of his head. Crutchie felt his chest tighten, and he knew he was in trouble.

.