Chapter 4

Dan's POV

I don't understand how he keeps doing this.

I pace around my bedroom, muttering things to myself and biting my nails in between. Perhaps Head-Honcho was right. Maybe this job is going to be harder than I thought it would be. But why? And how? How is this bubbly, six foot eight year old so easily able to escape me? Maybe I just need to study him more. Sometimes these things take longer than you think they will. I guess I just underestimated the situation that I'm in. What am I supposed to do now though? I'm just going to have to keep being friends with this guy in hopes that he'll invite me out again and I can figure something out then. Why does the death need to look like an accident? That makes things so much harder. Should I care? Should I just drag a knife across his throat and get it over with? I suppose I shouldn't risk upsetting the agency. It really will have to look like an accident unless they say otherwise.

Twice.

I have failed to kill Phil Lester twice.

My first plan seemed to simple. A car accident. That's pretty much the best way to kill someone. I'd planned on speeding up on the motorcycle, crashing into him, and then I'd stop and go to the scene of the crash to "check on him" and if he were still alive, snap his neck before anyone could see. They'd all think he was killed in the crash and I would flee. Simple, right? Apparently not. I suppose I should have seen it coming since my motorcycle is obnoxiously loud, so there wasn't much of a way to hide the fact that I was coming, but I was still going fast enough that I should have hit him. He swerved out of the way at literally the last second and then I was left to keep going, way over the speed limit. To make this story all the better, Phil came up to me the next day at school and he apologized about me almost crashing into him. He blamed the whole thing on his bad driving. I could not believe how naive he was being. I of course played along and told him everything was okay and that we were still fine to hang out that weekend, hoping to kill him then.

And again I failed.

I tried to get myself to relax. When I came home today, I looked up Muse and started playing some of their music. I sat in bed and began to read the first couple of chapters of "Carrie" by Stephen King - Phil let me borrow his copy - but I just couldn't concentrate, so I shut the book and turned off the music, then went out to the living room and played the piano a while, just to let my mind wander for a little while. However, eventually even that my mind just couldn't focus on because of my extreme frustration. So now I'm sat on the couch, watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, trying to pay attention to the plot of the show because I know Phil will be asking me how I liked it the next time I see him. All I can really focus on though were the events of today.

At school, Phil and I decided it would be a good idea to work on the project at his house Friday afternoon and evening. Phil told me that it was just him and his mom at his house because his brother is at University and he never really mentioned his father. He also said his mother wouldn't be in the way and that we would be able to get through the project easily. The idea of no one being around to bug us let me know that this would be a good time for me to execute my assassination.

It seemed like it would be so easy. My target had come up to me and introduced himself to me, something that has never happened before. He welcomed me to work on this project with him with almost no hesitation. Head-Honcho was right when he said that Phil Lester was naive. Phil just immediately welcomed the new kid with no questions asked. He gave me directions, gave me some advise for surviving the school day and even introduced me to his friends. We talked, we laughed, we joked; I was already getting through to him without even trying! I figured, all it would take was a trip to his house where I could smother his face with a pillow, therefore killing him without leaving a scratch. If Phil's mother were in the house, I could even pretend to panic and say that Phil had suddenly fainted. I'd put on acts like that before. I knew that I would be capable of making Phil Lester's death look like an accident; all if would take was getting close enough to him.