this is the beginning. II (background)

Hi. I'm Nina and I lost my parents in a car accident during summer. Unfortunately, I survived, but a part of me feels like I was supposed to die with them. There's this emptiness consuming me each and every day and living in the house where my parents have been raising me since childbirth - I feel like breaking down every morning passing their door, going downstairs, and do whatever normal people would do... except that they actually have parents.

And yes, I do have a "legal guardian," she's my best friend. My aunt. She's of course grieving, but we help each other get through the day. I never ever thought I'd be this close with her in a million years, but people are full of surprises. And I'm so glad we're on each others team.

In Richmond, Virginia, there's nothing for me to explore anymore. I've been through it all with my parents, and now that they're gone, it feels like I have nothing left; there's nothing left.

I'd normally "hang out" with my best friends Kat and Caroline in our little iMessage group chat, but they've been gone all summer, so I don't know what else to do besides laying in bed all day listening to music and reading these stupid romance novels.

That's all there really is to me.